The Living Art Centre, Gallery
4141 Living Arts Drive, Mississauga, ON L5B 4B8
Exhibition dates: January 20- March 22, 2020
Submission deadline: Monday December 2, 2019
Toys, cartoons, and games featuring fictional heroes can help children to feel brave, fearless, and in control of their world. Childhood play is imaginative and fun, but can also show children the cultural understanding of what ‘good guys’ and ‘bad guys’ are, contribute to the development of values and aspirations, and could influence how children view themselves and navigate the world.
Tiny Mighty Heroes invites artist, designers, and makers to submit work contemplating the ways children view heroes, what makes someone a hero, or challenge notions of what a hero is.
Topics could include:
- the meaning of toys
- ideas surrounding heroes or the heroic
- the impact of games and play
Possible project proposals could include:
- Traditional practices
- Digital practices
- Research projects
Emerging and established artists will be considered. Works must be exhibition ready. If your piece requires custom or advanced set- up or facilitation, please include detailed instructions with your submission package. Equipment for works which require custom or digital presentation and/ or controls must be provided by the artist. Works must have been created within the past 3 years.
- Visual examples of the project: JPEG, PNG, video, website or external online links
- Project description (150 words max)
- Artist statement (100 words)
- Technical requirements (setup and facilitation instructions of your project if necessary)
- Insurance value of the piece/ equipment
➢ Send submission materials to: email@example.com
➢ Submission deadline: Monday December 2, 2019
The Living Arts Centre will provide:
- Honorarium for all selected projects
- Exhibition design/ installation assistance
- On-site facilitation of your project during the exhibition
- Social media and marketing
- An opening reception with networking opportunities
Notification of Acceptance: Artists will be notified by email by Monday December, 9 2019 if their work has been selected for exhibition. Accepted artists will receive exhibition details including installation details, information on artwork delivery, insurance, and the opening reception.
Work must be on-site and ready for installation on Monday January 13 between 11am and 3pm.
For more information on the LAC visit: https://www.livingartscentre.ca/
Questions? Please contact Katie Micak at firstname.lastname@example.org