Theatre Ontario: Youth Theatre Training Program
Theatre Ontario’s Youth Theatre Training Program (YTTP) offers financial support to programs that deliver accessible training to young people (age 14 to 21), led by professional theatre artists, in skills such as:
- Technical production and design
- Theatre administration and producing
- Performance skills and play creation
This program is funded by the Ontario Arts Council, an agency of the Government of Ontario.
There are two annual application deadlines for this program.
- March 1, 2019
- September 1, 2019
For 2020 onwards:
- February 1 and September 1 (or the next business day, if these dates fall on a weekend)
GOALS OF THE PROGRAM
The purpose of the YTTP is to expose young people to the many and diverse skills involved in creating theatre and to provide access to professional theatre training which might not otherwise be available in the host community. To that end, Theatre Ontario has identified the following goals:
- Providing opportunties for youth with reduced access because of race, culture, class, gender, (dis)ability and/or region as well as youth in underserviced communities;
- Extending the provincial reach of the program by encouraging theatre training programs in communities beyond downtown Toronto;
- Encouraging ethnic diversity in both trainers and youth;
- Expanding the range of training activity by encouraging training in theatre skills in non-performance areas;
- Providing an open and accessible admission process so that all interested youth in the community may have an opportunity to be considered to participate.
YTTP grants are for the express purpose of providing fees (or partial fees) to professional theatre artists working in the capacity of trainers with the youth.
- Projects must emphasize practical training in theatrical skills
- The applicant, participants, and professional artists proposed for the project must be Canadian citizens or have landed immigrant status and reside in Ontario (must have resided here for at least one year)
The maximum grant available is $7,500.
Please note: Applicants do NOT need to be organization members of Theatre Ontario. If you wish to participate in our member counselling towards the development and review of your proposed application, you need to be an organization member of Theatre Ontario.