Communications & Digital Media Lead
The Robert McLaughlin Gallery (The RMG) is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Communications & Digital Media Lead to join our hardworking and passionately dedicated team. At the RMG we believe artists are the essential navigators of our complex times and we work to mobilize our communities around inclusivity, equity and cultural exchange.
We are the RMG:
A vibrant, engaging public art museum located in Oshawa’s civic centre. The RMG is the largest gallery in Durham Region, and occupies an inspired 36,000 square foot building designed by noted architect Arthur Erickson. Featuring a Permanent Collection of over 4,800 works, and five galleries of diverse and changing contemporary and historical exhibitions, the RMG holds an important collection of modern Canadian abstraction and the largest holdings of works by Painters Eleven. A robust roster of dynamic public and educational programs, thriving volunteer program, gallery shop, inspiring event spaces, art archive and library, artist-in-residence lab, and art studio comprise the gallery’s many rich assets and offerings.
A Story-teller. Your innate curiosity captures and beautifully communicates the stories of the RMG and our communities, attracting a legion of new fans and friends.
A Trendsetter. This role is not about waiting for things to happen. You look around the corner, forecasting and anticipating trends to influence strategies that position the RMG at the forefront of museum and digital experiences.
Digitally Savvy. You live and breathe the internet and social media. Your fingers glide effortlessly across your phone and create captivating digital content across multiple platforms in seconds. You are fascinated by industry trends, media platforms and standards.
Fiercely Inclusive. Cultural inclusion, diversity, social equity, AODA and W3C compliance are a part of your everyday language.
Boldly creative. You are innovative and solutions minded. You seize opportunities that may manifest. You have a design eye and create dynamic content and spot-on messaging for web and print on the fly.
Fundraising focused. This role is integral to our fundraising strategy and helps to create compelling content that increases affinity to the brand. Your donor-centred focus impacts membership, support and all realms of giving.
A Congenial Collaborator. You play well in the sandbox with others, building enduring internal and external relationships that propel the RMG forward.
Strategic. You understand the goals of the organization and ensure every post, tweet, flyer and eblast is consistent with the messaging and overall strategic plan. You effortlessly develop strategy and shift into action. You walk the fine line of fiscal responsibility and creating memorable experiences for the RMG communities.
- Three to five years of experience in a communications coordination, media or public relations position with superior and agile writing, copy editing and communication skills
- A Bachelor’s of Arts Degree, specializing in Public Relations, Journalism, Communications, Digital Media and/or Marketing or Fine Art or Art History with equivalent experience in communications and/or marketing and/or digital media.
- Experience in the development, implementation and execution of a communications plan and budget management
- Superior project management skills
- Online media and internet marketing experience, including an excellent social media track record for organizations
- Experience in graphic design for print and web
- Knowledge of the print production process and supplier negotiations is desirable
- Web management, WordPress wizardry and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of modern and contemporary art in Canada
- Work experience in the cultural sector, not-for-profit organization, or museum setting an asset
- French bilingualism an asset
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as required
RMG is committed to providing quality services by establishing a team that reflects the diverse population it serves. RMG encourages applications from all qualified individuals. The RMG is wheelchair accessible and has gender neutral, accessible bathrooms.
How to Apply:
If this ad sounds as though we wrote it with you in mind, please forward your current resume and a brief letter of interest summarizing:
- Your related qualifications
- If you meet any of the priority criteria (optional)
Please submit to:
Jillian Sanders, HR & Administrative Assistant The Robert McLaughlin Gallery
72 Queen Street, Civic Centre
Oshawa, ON L1H 3Z3