Alberta Theatre Projects is preparing for our 50th anniversary season of producing live, professional, contemporary theatre in Calgary.
We create world-class contemporary theatre that blurs the line between the audience and the artist, by telling the most provocative and engaging stories of our time.
By embracing the intimacy and unique audience configuration opportunities of the Martha Cohen Theatre, we offer an exciting new experience for our audience with each production.
Building on the legacy of executive and artistic director Darcy Evans, Alberta Theatre Projects is in a high growth phase and we are excited to keep the momentum going as one of our country’s leaders in professional theatre.
About the Position
As our company plans to produce virtual presentations for the remainder of the 2020/21 season and facilitate rental activities in the Martha Cohen Theatre, Alberta Theatre Projects seeks a passionate technical director for a contract opportunity to start at the end of March or early April through to the beginning of August, with the possibility of extension into a full time role depending on the evolution of the COVID-19 pandemic. Reporting to the production manager, this role is the lead on executing technical elements and working with our crew in the theatre for season productions and rental engagements.
- Coordinate and oversee all technical elements for theatrical productions (including planned recorded productions) and any rental productions.
- Perform all costing, ordering of materials, and crew scheduling for productions and theatre rentals.
- Act as a liaison with production coordinators and stage management for all technical requirements.
- Manage expenditures for all scenic areas in consultation with the production manager.
- Report to the production manager weekly on the status of budget.
- Attend all production meetings, technical rehearsals, note sessions, and staff meetings as scheduled.
- Attend occupational health and safety meetings as one of the production staff members.
- Work with third parties on technical production elements, including video agency partners for theatrical recordings.
- Act as site lead for COVID-19 protocols.
- Maintain the technical and artistic integrity of all productions.
- Oversee the set-up and strike of all technical elements for all productions.
- Coordinate the shared shop spaces and its equipment.
- Other duties as required by the production manager.
- Thorough knowledge of structural and mechanical construction for the stage, including welding, rigging and painting.
- An extensive background in technical theatre.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal.
- Strategic, action orientated, and thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office, and AutoCAD or Vectorworks essential.
- The ability to interpret technical drawings.
- Experience working with unionized professionals considered an asset, specifically with IATSE Local 212, ACTRA, and Canadian Actors’ Equity Association.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including split shifts, extended work days, and weekends, due to the nature of events taking place in the Martha Cohen Theatre.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this position (as with all roles at Alberta Theatre Projects) is subject to potential reduction in FTE status or layoff should outside factors dictate, such as the closure of the Martha Cohen Theatre due to government restrictions on activities in theatrical venues.
To apply please email a letter of interest and resume by email to Kyle Russell, Interim Executive Director, email@example.com.
Due to production schedules and the need for an incumbent to join our staff as soon as possible, applications will be considered as they are received and this job will remain open until filled.
Alberta Theatre Projects is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community. We believe in equity and inclusion and strongly encourage submissions from all qualified individuals regardless of gender, age, race, sexual orientation, and physical ability.
Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. For more information about Alberta Theatre Projects, please visit albertatheatreprojects.com.