TD Exhibitions & Programs Assistant: Mercer Union
Mercer Union, Toronto
Deadline: October 19, 2018
Designed to enable young professionals to gain experience in the arts sector, this full-time, 12-month post provides mentoring from Mercer’s Director of Exhibitions & Programs, supporting emerging curators to develop their practice within a non-profit, artist-run institution.
- Mercer Union’s TD Exhibitions & Programs Assistant will work closely with the Director of Exhibitions & Programs to learn diverse facets of the work of a curator at an artist-run centre. Research, hands-on tasks and professional development will be at the core of this program.
- TD Exhibitions & Programs Assistant will have the opportunity to participate in all phases of program development including: research; checklist development; lender and artist relations; writing text for didactics, press release and website; installation needs; and event coordination.
- The TD Exhibitions & Programs Assistant will assist with engagement related programming including development and implementation of fORUM, Aggregate and SESSION.
- The TD Exhibitions & Programs Assistant will provide administrative support across programming, learning to manage production schedules and timelines.
- Post-Secondary Degree in Curatorial Studies, Art History, Fine Arts, Museum Studies, Arts Education, Arts Administration or a related field with a particular interest in pursuing exhibition programming around contemporary art.
- Demonstrated interest in museum or gallery work, arts administration and arts education.
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written; experience with speaking in public settings considered an asset;
- Excellent research skills, with ability to self-direct;=
- Strong organizational skills, with ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines;
- Strong computer skills are essential; experience with Mac computer systems and office programs including spreadsheets, word processing, email and database software;
- Understanding of gallery education and public programs, program assessment, and visitor engagement theories and strategies;
- Passion for contemporary art and artistic practices
Must be comfortable working in an open concept office environment
Able to undertake flexible working hours, including evenings and weekends, when necessary
$35,000 – $40,000 per annum
To apply, candidates should submit a letter of interest, CV and the names of three references with contact information in one PDF document. Qualified candidates please email applications to: email@example.com