Tangled Art + Disability: Open Call for Submissions
Deadline February 1, 2019
We are currently accepting proposals from Deaf, Mad and Disability-identified artists, and groups, collectives, and organizations engaging in disability curation to be hosted at Tangled Art Gallery.
Tangled is committed to cultivating Deaf, Mad and Disability-led work that engages politically in social practice, advances the conversation around Disability Arts, and disrupts through accessible art practices. Our goal is to foster developing conversations in ‘crip’ aesthetics and support the transformative potential of Disability Arts.
Tangled Art + Disability is accepting submissions to our gallery space for exhibitions in our next exhibition season, July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020. This call is for curatorial proposals and artists working in all media.
Tangled Art + Disability is boldly redefining how the world experiences art and those who create it. We are a not for profit art + disability organization dedicated to connecting professional and emerging artists, the arts community and a diverse public through creative passion and artistic excellence. Our mandate is to support disability-identified artists, to cultivate Disability Arts in Canada, and to enhance access to the arts for artists and audiences of all abilities.
Tangled Art + Disability will support artists and curators in generating vital work that enhances and expands a ‘crip’ aesthetics, and integrating inclusive practices of access and accessibility. We encourage submissions from diverse communities and cultural backgrounds including Black, Indigenous, POC & LGBTQQIP2SAA. The gallery, located at Suite 122 in the 401 Richmond Building, features 800 square feet of exhibition space. We pay artist fees to artists according to CARFAC standards.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
Tangled Art Gallery is dedicated to inclusion and access to the submissions processes and will accept applications in:
- Zipped folder (no larger than 10MB) or by file hosting service (eg. WeTransfer, Google Drive or Dropbox)
- Single PDF
- Video submission: No more than 10 minutes and must be below 200MB
- ASL Submission: please submit a video, no more than 10 minutes and must be below 200MB
- In-person or Oral application: Get in touch with the submissions administrator, Sean Lee, (email@example.com or 647-725-5064) at least 10 business days before the application deadline. Tangled may not be able to accommodate requests made any later.
For additional information on application and access accommodations, please email or call Victoria Anne Warner: firstname.lastname@example.org or 647-725-5064
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST INCLUDE:
- CV(s) (For all applicable Artists and Curators)
- Support material: up to 10 images of a combination of previous work and the work intended for exhibition. All images must be labeled with a corresponding image description of the dimensions of the work, media, title and year of production. You may submit a link to watch a 5 minute section of video or audio.
- Up to 500 word Artist or Curatorial statement and project description, including timeline of proposed project.
- A list of projected technical requirements, equipment, and materials.
- Additional support material such as reviews, if available.
Send all applications to email@example.com by February 1, 11:59 pm EST.
All applications will be notified of results.