Deadline: Friday, January 31, 2020
Image Credit: In Retrospect by Hiba Abdallah (Supercrawl 2019)
Supercrawl is a free annual outdoor multi-arts festival in downtown Hamilton, and the Supercrawl Art Committee is excited to release our Call for Artists for 2020. Showcasing great music alongside an entire street of cultural experiences — a diverse and dynamic lineup of music, art, fashion, performance, talks, crafts, food and fun — the festival has captured the imagination of culture lovers far beyond the city.
Supercrawl’s Visual Art Committee invites proposals for creatively diverse work that has large-scale visual impact and responds to the streetscape of the event. Projects by local, regional, national and international artists are selected based on artistic merit, originality, and ability to integrate within the festival’s scale and energy. The goal of the Supercrawl Visual Art Committee is to select contemporary visual art pieces that will enhance the overall festival experience. Full details and submission portal can be found at supercrawl.ca/apply.
Areas of Interest
Supercrawl’s Visual Art Committee invites artists working in a wide range of creative disciplines to propose works for installation as part next year’s event, taking place September 4-6, 2020.
The Committee is interested in seeking proposals in the following areas:
- Identification of distinct Art Zone (i.e.: entryways, banners, etc.)
- Installation art
- Public interventions
In addition, the Committee welcomes proposals that can be installed within the following context:
Mural frame (approx. 21′ wide x 25′ high) on south facade of 118 James St. N., Hamilton, ON
Proposals must consider public safety and visibility, and the piece must be able to be safely performed or executed outdoors with large crowds present at all hours and weather conditions, and will remain impactful during both the daytime and night-time hours of the festival. Audiences are estimated at approximately 80,000 people per day.
- Artists working collaboratively is permitted. (Collaborative implies that more than one artist has worked on the piece being submitted.) Please choose ONE artist’s contact information for communication purposes.
- Work must be original, current and completed within the past ten (10) years.
- Artists are responsible for ensuring that there are no copyright issues or other legal issues attached to images used or the subjects of their commission.
Fees & Resources
Each project selected will be allocated an artist’s fee in line with CARFAC fee schedules in addition to the project proposal’s material and production budget. Costs such as travel and accommodation, where necessary, may be covered and will be addressed on an individual basis. Production assistance may also be available. Supercrawl will also be assigning significant resources to promotion of the event and selected artists leading up to the festival, and during the event. The festival will provide schedule signage, produce posters and handbills, and include programming details both in printed materials and on the Supercrawl website.
Dates & Location
Works will be featured throughout the festival weekend (September 4-6, 2020) and installed in Supercrawl’s Art Zone located along James Street North between Cannon Street and Robert Street.
Submission Package Requirements
- Contact Information / Website
- Artist CV
- Artist’s statement – conceptual statement of the work
- Practical explanation of the work (i.e.: Description of proposed project, scale, materials, methods). Please provide an installation plan including time required and any technical/logistical requirements.
- Estimated Budget – Project Material and Production Costs (i.e.: materials, rentals, travel expenses, artwork transportation)
- Photos/Renderings/Sketches of Proposed Work – 3-5 images
- Support Images – 3-5 images of previous work relevant to the proposed project. (Video works: 10 minutes maximum)
- Image List – indicating title, year, media & dimensions/duration of works.
The Supercrawl Visual Art Committee is open to creatively diverse work that has large-scale visual impact and responds to the streetscape of the event. Artists and their work will be identified and publicized as official Supercrawl curatorial selections during the event, on the Supercrawl website and in select media releases. Artists will be required to sign a contract with Supercrawl Productions Inc.
APPLY AT supercrawl.ca/apply
Deadline for submissions: Friday, January 31, 2020 at 11:59pm ET.
Late submissions will not be considered.
Successful applicants will be contacted by March 2, 2020.
Artists are encouraged to contact the Committee to receive clarification and/or additional information as needed to develop proposals.
A driven team of Hamilton artists and community builders founded Supercrawl in 2009 with a view to showcasing great music alongside an entire street of cultural experiences — a diverse and dynamic lineup of music, art, fashion, performance, talks, crafts, food and fun (local, regional national and international).
Since its inception, Supercrawl has captured the imagination of culture lovers far beyond the city, drawing visitors from across Canada and around the world. The event has gone from a one-day celebration on a single block to a weekend-long experience encompassing almost two kilometres of downtown streets, with attendance growing from 3,000 to 250,000 in that time.
Supercrawl was shortlisted for a 2017 Canadian Tourism Award for Event of the Year, received the 2015 Ontario Tourism Award of Excellence for Tourism Event of the Year (and been shortlisted for the same award in 2019), and has been recognized as one of Festival and Events Ontario’s Top 100 Festivals/Events (2015-2019).