Stratford Mural Projects
Deadline for Submission: May 5th, 2021
Estimated Public Mural Budget: $4000 – $12,000 CDN Inclusive
The Stratford City Centre BIA – Beautification Sub-Committee is developing an artist roster of emerging, mid-career, and established mural artists and artist teams who will be pre-qualified for consideration to create public murals as part of the City of Stratford’s Downtown Beautification and Animation initiatives. The design goal is to enhance the commercial downtown core as a cultural destination and create a welcoming environment for visitors and residents of all ages.
All artists having submitted complete applications in accordance with the specified standards will be added to the prequalified artist roster. Submitting artists should be aware that inclusion in the pre-qualified artist roster does not guarantee a commission of artwork.
A selection panel consisting of at least two member of the Beautification Sub-Committee, at least two members of the professional arts community (at least one to be a professional curator), and a community representative, will review the submissions for the pre-qualified artists roster. A short-list of artists from the pre-qualified artists roster will be selected by a selection panel consisting of at least one member of the Beautification Sub-Committee, at least two members of the professional arts community, the property owner (or designated representative) and a community representative for individual mural projects as they arise.
- Letter of Interest and Artist CV: If submitting as an artist team please include only ONE letter of interest (maximum 2 pages) for the submitting team together with Artist CV’s for all team members. The letter of intent should include why the artist / team is interested in this opportunity, applicable experience that has prepared the artist(s) for this project, and how their practice relates to this project. Artist teams must clearly identify the roles and responsibilities of the various team members and identify the project lead for the team.
- Digital Image Work Samples: Applicants must submit a maximum of 10 (ten) samples of past work that best illustrates their qualifications for this project. Submit each image on a separate page, portrait format and include: Artist’s name, title of work, medium, date, location, dimensions, project budget, and who commissioned the work. Artist’s are encouraged to include a brief description of the artwork / project, including design team and installation site. Submissions should include at least one example of a public mural project.
- All supporting documents must be complete and strictly adhere to these guidelines and submission requirements (above) for consideration
- All submissions must be formatted to standard letter size (8.5” x 11”) paper, portrait format
- Preference will be given to artists living and working in Stratford and Perth County
- Submission files must be smaller than 5 MB
- All documents must be sent by email to: email@example.com or may be uploaded here.
Must be received on or before midnight May 5th, 2021 EST
- Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
Artistic Merit: Overall quality of past work and professional standing in arts community. (40 Points)
Project Context: Resonance of artists’ professional practice to Stratford as reflected through examples of past work. (20 Points)
Project Experience: Past work as indication of the applicant’s ability to manage similar projects, including familiarity with public agencies, the public review process, and experience working with downtown businesses, municipal government and community groups. Past work as an indication of the artist’s ability to successfully complete a mural project within a stated budget and timeline. (30 Points)
Stratford Connection: To encourage and promote local talent, preference will be given to artists and artist teams who live, work or have a connection to Stratford or Perth County. (10 Points)
Total Points: 100
Questions should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org