Rodman Hall Art Centre: Education & Outreach Coordinator Position
Located in St. Catharines, Ontario, Rodman Hall Art Centre is a contemporary art gallery in the historic Thomas Rodman Merritt House, overlooking the Walker Botanical Garden that descends to the Twelve Mile Creek. Year-round programming connects the community with art through innovative and thought-provoking exhibitions, events, and art classes for all ages.
EDUCATION & OUTREACH COORDINATOR
The Education & Outreach Coordinator is accountable for developing and supervising the educational and interpretative activities of the gallery, studio, outreach programs and related administrative duties.
Application and Recruitment Process:
Click here to read the full description and application details.
Application Deadline: December 6, 2018, 12:01 AM EST
Expected Start Date: January, 2019
Salary Range: $50,707 to $68,268. This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver (if applicable).
As Education & Outreach Coordinator you will:
- Researching, designing, and implementing education and public programs including school and outreach initiatives, a docent program, tours for children and adults, workshops and lectures
- Participating in the articulation of the vision, strategies and priorities of all educational and outreach activities
- Planning the annual review and implementation of the educational and outreach program policies for approval by the Director
- Developing written material for the newsletter and brochures
- Communicating education information to all staff including docents and front desk personnel
- Research and connect with potential community and school partners, working to develop targeted programming
- Ensuring that all necessary materials for programs are acquired
- Develop a series of workshops for children and adults annually/seasonally including March Break and Summer Art Camp
- Maintaining familiarity with Governmental policies as they affect gallery educational activities
- Ensuring all educational records and files are professionally maintained
- Developing and maintaining strong and positive ties with Brock University, internal staff, members of the artistic and academic communities, and other cultural workers
- Ensuring that the studio and other programming facilities are kept in good and usable condition
- Design docent training program related to Gallery exhibition program
- Planning, developing and supervising an annual program of education addressing contemporary exhibitions, temporary exhibitions, collection exhibitions, and touring exhibitions
- Program and coordinate regular docent meetings including ongoing training opportunities, coordination of guest speakers, and development of innovative touring techniques as relevant
- Organize ongoing and singular special events that enhance and interpret exhibition program
- Provide leadership to educational program and student staff, including assigning tasks, managing, coaching, mentoring and motivating to develop a client centered culture;
- Recruit and train education program staff, ensuring effective allocation of staff to meet departmental goals and objectives;
- Lead the development of the budget related to educational programs and gallery exhibitions;
- Develop targets and benchmarks to monitor the program plan and budget, targets and benchmarks should support operational goals, service responsiveness and accuracy, with a focus on an exceptional learner experience.
- University degree in a related field (e.g. Education, Visual Arts & Art History)
- 3-5 years’ experience in a related institution with good knowledge of educational practices
- Background in visual arts practice and/or art history with an emphasis on contemporary art
- Teaching and curriculum design experience;
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent time management and project coordination skills;
- Strong leadership skills;
- Strong research and writing skills;
- Strong initiative and experience in team-work
- Excellent interpersonal skills to maintain a network of contacts within and outside of the Brock;
- Exceptional verbal & written communication skills, including maturity, tact and discretion;
- Exceptional customer service skills;
- Skilled at interacting with persons from diverse backgrounds;
- Skilled at working independently in a supportive and collaborative manner;
- Strong initiative and ability to function as a self-starter;
- Excellent attention to detail, accuracy, organizational, and prioritizing skills to meet deadlines for budget submissions, course scheduling, grades submissions, etc.