This freelance position is perfect for a video and sound editing student or recent post-secondary graduate based in Calgary who is looking to gain production experience in a fast-paced online broadcasting environment. The successful candidate will apply their extensive training in video and sound post-production to help realize Wordfest’s ambitious vision for its new OTT channel, Imagine On Air, as well as its new video-based youth outreach program.
We are looking for a talented video and sound editor to assemble recorded footage into finished projects that match Wordfest’s programming and branding vision, and are suitable for broadcasting. Ultimately, you should be able to bring sight and sound together in ways that allow the on-air talent to tell a compelling story and to share their best selves with the audience.
- Take a detailed brief to grasp the creative team’s needs and specifications, and to establish a clear understanding of the purpose of the video’s creation.
- Improve video and sound quality using Adobe Premiere and Adobe Audition.
- Edit video and audio to include preselected materials such as raw footage, animated sequences, title cards, sound clips and other important aspects of a project.
- Manipulate and edit video and audio content in a way that is seamless to the audience.
- Ensure the correct formatting and presentation of finalized videos according to specifications for online streaming.
- Ensure raw clips and completed videos are organized effectively and are accessible to other team members collaborating on a project in a remote-work environment.
Depending on the skills and interests of the successful candidate, this position may also support other projects and initiatives such as the development of original animated audio-visual media, remote call-in video capture assignments (e.g. using VMIX), asset management, stage and studio management, as needed.
The ideal candidate will possess both technical and creative abilities to be able to effectively realize the vision Wordfest has for its online programming and OTT streaming channel. They will have experience working with creative software such as Adobe Creative Suite, and have a keen eye for creative digital design.
Specific requirements include:
- Professional mastery of the Adobe suite of video and audio editing software and programs (e.g. Premier, Audition, After Effects).
- Bachelor’s degree in film and sound editing or related degree (or equivalent combination of diplomas/certificates and past experience) is required.
- Ability to understand the desired outcome of a project when meeting with the Wordfest team and the ability to bring projects to life.
- Ability to multitask and work toward several milestones on various projects simultaneously.
- Experience editing various video projects and inserting sound effects, music and transitions.
- Creative experience in filmmaking and videography.
- Excellent communication skills are required to have a solid understanding of project scope and implementation.
- Knowledge of broadcast production and video-editing workflows and best practices.
Who Should Apply?
All qualified candidates looking to gain entry-level experience in a high-volume production environment are encouraged to apply. As a publicly funded arts non-profit organization, Wordfest is committed to hiring youth and BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour) to help diversify the workforce in the digital arts sector.
Start Date: The successful candidate will be able to start immediately.
Duration: The contract duration and terms will be established at time of hiring.
Hours: Up to 32 hours/week
The contractor will submit invoices twice-monthly for hours worked.
Submit a cover letter and resume in PDF format via email to Sandra Grills, Production and Operations Director, at email@example.com.
Wordfest is accepting applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.