Point Pelee National Park is excited to announce its first artist-in-residence program. Parks Canada is inviting up to 6 artists to participate in a 5 day residency program in Point Pelee National Park, located
in Leamington, ON. The residency will take place from June 20, 2019 to June 25, 2019 and will provide artists with an opportunity to connect with nature and gain inspiration for their next work(s) of art.
Artists will be provided with:
• Comfortable accommodation during the residency in their own individual oTENTik, located in Camp Henry, Point Pelee National Park. Each oTENTik is heated, has electrical outlets, sleeps up to
6 people and includes cooking implements and dishes. Sites are equipped with a gas BBQ, picnic table and fire pit. Comfort Stations with washrooms, showers, potable water and a dish washing area
are available within 100m of each oTENTIk site. Artists are welcome to bring up to five guests with them.
• Access to ecological experts and naturalists to help inspire their work.
• A schedule of activities, including guided interpretive walks, group presentations, access to the Visitor Centre (during opening hours) and access to any public spaces in the park, including picnic areas,
beaches, trails and the marsh boardwalk.
Artists are responsible for:
• Transportation to and from the park
• Their own art supplies
• Bedding and other linens, such as towels required during their stay
• Food for meal preparation
As part of the residency, artists are asked to:
• Produce a piece(s) inspired by their stay at the park
• Show a minimum of one (1) residency-inspired creation at Point
Pelee’s Art in the oTENTik event (October 19-20 2019)
• Be part of an exhibit held at the Leamington Arts Centre (dates tbd)
• Grant Parks Canada permission to present their work on Point Pelee National Park’s social media pages and website
Who can apply:
Presented by Parks Canada, the Artist-in-Residence program encourages artists in all stages of their careers to apply. Applications from visual artists working in the following disciplines are welcome:
• Mixed media
• Graphic Illustration/Digital Painting
Applicants will be asked to complete and submit:
• An application
• An artist’s statement (500 words max)
• A short biography (150 words max)
• Examples of work (up to 10 images) in JPEG format with relevant caption information included
• A reference letter from a professional in the field (optional)
The successful candidates will be selected on the basis of their submitted material and artistic merit by an impartial jury composed of Parks Canada staff members and invited guests.
Deadline for submission is April 29, 2019.
Candidates will be notified of the selection on May 6, 2019.
Email Karen.email@example.com for an application and for more information about the program with the subject line: Artist In Residence Application
Applications are to be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org wit