Extended Deadline: June 22, 2020
Photophobia is the 14th annual festival of short-format contemporary media, film, video and moving image hosted in partnership between the Art Gallery of Hamilton and Hamilton Artists Inc. Established in 1999, Photophobia was Hamilton’s first film and video festival dedicated to experimental time-based media at a time when there were no such platforms in the Hamilton community. Not limited by restrictions or themes, Photophobia showcases creative, unconventional and experimental approaches to contemporary time-based media. Usually, the festival is comprised of two free screenings, presented every August under the cover of night in the Irving Zucker Sculpture Garden at the Art Gallery of Hamilton and the ArcelorMittal Dofasco Courtyard at Hamilton Artists Inc. This year, we will adapt to our changing environment and celebrate the annual festival through an online platform!
Apply by completing the online submission form: CLICK HERE
- Submissions must be short format (15 minutes or less)
- Work must be no more than 3 years old (2017)
- All submissions must be digital Vimeo or Youtube links (private/password protected will be accepted). Other formats will not be considered. Do not send the jury files using Wetransfer or any other transfer platform that has a time limit for hosting the files. Do not use dropbox or other cloud platforms.
- No more than one submission per artist.
- Films and videos should be independent projects, meaning that you, the artist, retain complete creative and artistic control of the project.
- Artists who screened their work in the 2019 festival will not be eligible to re-apply until 2021.
Submission Files Must be Labelled With Applicant’s Last Name Including:
- Two video stills (jpeg format, maximum size: 1920 x 1080 pixels at 72 dpi resolution)
- Artist CV (PDF file, 3 pages max)
- Artist Bio (75 words max)
- Brief Description of Your Work (150 words max)
- Entry Information: Title; year completed; name; address; phone; email; role in production; format; length.
- Video link with password if applicable
For questions, please contact: Selections Committee, Photophobia firstname.lastname@example.org
Hamilton Artists Inc. and the Art Gallery of Hamilton welcome submissions from all qualified individuals and strongly encourage submissions from members of equity-seeking communities, including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions. Please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure you can access and complete the submissions process.
Please apply through the online submission form only. Hard copy and email submissions will not be considered, unless special accommodations are requested. Notification can be expected in July. Due to the high volume of applications, only those selected for the festival will be notified. IMAA remuneration will be provided to successful applicants within 30 days of the screenings.