Factory Media Centre &NOW 2020 Production Residency & Scholarship Call for Submissions
Factory Media Centre (FMC) invites artists to apply our Production Residency & Scholarship (PR&S) program set to begin this winter 2020. This is a valuable opportunity for artists and creators to utilize the studio space and media resources at FMC to produce a new work or continue a developing body of work.
Artists or artist teams working in digital or media art forms are encouraged to apply. Selection criteria will be based on project originality, its potential for artistic growth and the use and integration of FMC as a production location. Selections will be made by FMC’s Programming Committee.
- Emerging, mid-career or established artists (or artist teams)
- Must be a member of the Factory Media Centre at the start of the residency term (To become a member visit: www.factorymediacentre.ca/
– Full Membership: $45
– Seniors (65+) & Full time Student (18+): $25
- $2000 artist fee for the residency period. If applying as a team the artist fee will be split equally among team members.
- Payment for artist talk and public program.
- $1500 – $2000 scholarship for equipment rental (see rental page: www.factorymediacentre.ca/
- 24 hour access to FMC space for creating work or exploring presentation approaches
- Access to iMac pro with Adobe Creative Suite.
- Studio visit with peers from Hamilton’s art community.
Artist(s) expectations during residency
- Dedicate time to developing new or existing work during the residency period
- Experiment with media art form, technique or content
- Utilize FMC’s space for production, post-production or to test exhibition. Dedicate set hours at FMC and advertise open studio hours for community to visit.
- Utilize FMC’s production and post-production rental equipment
- Participate in open studio reception
- Develop and deliver one public program that engages with one of the FMC’s surrounding community. This could be a workshop, participatory experience, or artist talk.
- Acknowledge the support of FMC when presenting the work that was made while in residence.
- Provide high-quality documentation (images, video or sound) for FMC website, archives, or publications.
Factory Media Centre’s &Now Production and Scholarship Residency Program has openings for the following terms:
1. February 17 – March 14, 2020
2. March 16 – April 3, 2020
Application Deadline: January 26, 2020 at 11:59pm E.T.
- CV (3 page max) and Bio (250 words max)
- Project Description (300 words max)
- How will your project utilize FMC’s space (200 words max)
- What production and postproduction equipment will your project require. Please review our rentals page www.factorymediacentre.ca/
equipment-rentals and list the equipment we have available.
- What public program would you to provide to FMC’s Hamilton community and how does this compliment your project? (150 words max)
- Visual support material: (only one option is required)*
– 5-7 still images in one PDF document with image information.
– 2-4 DIRECT website links to video projects or video/photo documentation (videos 2 min max) with project information.
- Indicate time commitment in studio, hours you will be active at FMC space.
About the Factory Media Centre
The Factory Media Centre is a not-for-profit artist-driven resource centre located at 228 James Street North in Hamilton, Ontario. FMC is dedicated to the production and promotion of creatively diverse forms of independent films, videos, and other streaming multimedia art forms.
Our mission is to develop and support a vibrant, sustainable, creative, and diverse community of Members within Hamilton and its surrounding region, who are involved or interested in the art, the craft, and the technologies, of motion picture media. In addition to our mission, we also provide access to facilities, equipment, peer resources and educational initiatives to the community of time-based visual artists, as well as to the community at large. Through our programming we hope to encourage the development and appreciation of all related visual art forms through an ongoing program of screenings and events.