Job Posting (YCW Building Careers in Heritage)
Collections Assistant (Intern)
MacLaren Art Centre, Barrie
About the MacLaren Art Centre
The MacLaren Art Centre is the regional public art gallery serving the residents of Barrie, the County of Simcoe and the surrounding area. Our mission is to engage and enrich the immediate and larger community by providing innovative and relevant visual arts programming. The MacLaren Art Centre houses a significant collection of artwork held in trust for the public and presents a year-round programme of world-class exhibitions, education activities and special events. The MacLaren offers a dynamic work environment that supports opportunities for professional growth, encourages creativity, fosters teamwork and rewards excellence. Employees enjoy a well-organized, stable organization and a collegial culture that emphasizes mentoring, coaching and skills development.
About the Job
The MacLaren Art Centre is seeking a recent graduate of a curatorial studies, art history, library and information studies or museum studies programme to assist with various tasks associated with the MacLaren’s Permanent Collection. Working closely with the Associate Director/Senior Curator, the intern will: work with the MacLaren’s Sovfoto Archive, aiding preparation and mounting of an exhibition drawn from this collection; assisting with the biannual collections inventory; and assisting with generating, collating and updating preservation documentation on new media works in the MacLaren’s Permanent Collection. In addition to these major projects, the intern will also assist with the installation of artworks in temporary exhibitions, generating labels and signage for exhibition displays, compiling research materials on collection works and other duties as assigned.
All applicants must be registered with Young Canada Works and meet all eligibility requirements for their Building Careers in Heritage program.
Position: Collections Assistant
Duration: 6 months (27 weeks)
Rate of pay: $15.00/hour
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, Monday through Friday
Suggested start and end date: September 16, 2019 to March 20, 2020
- Must be a recent graduate of a curatorial studies, art history, library and information studies or museum studies programme with experience in museum or art gallery environments. Master of Arts degree preferred.
- Must maintain a high standard of professionalism
- Must be personable, detail oriented and able to work as a team member
- Must be able to lift up to 15 kg
- Must arrange their own travel to and from the MacLaren Art Centre on a daily basis
In order to meet YCW Building Careers in Heritage eligibility requirements, all candidates must demonstrate that they:
- are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program;
- are an unemployed or underemployed college or university graduate, that is, not employed full-time;
- are a recent graduate who has graduated from college or university within the last 24 months at the start of employment;
- are not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with the program; and
- have not previously participated in or been paid under this or any other Career Focus internship program funded under the Government of Canada’s Youth Employment Strategy.
The deadline for applications is 9 am on Monday, August 12, 2019
The MacLaren Art Centre is an equal opportunity employer serving our diverse communities. Although we appreciate all applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. The successful candidate will be required to supply a current criminal records check and vulnerable sector police screening before work can commence.
Please send a personalized cover letter and curriculum vitae in confidence to: Emily McKibbon, Associate Director/Senior Curator, MacLaren Art Centre, 37 Mulcaster Street, Barrie, ON L4M 3M2 or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org