CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
ARTISTIC PROGRAMMER | KNOT PROJECT SPACE
Application Deadline: November 24, 2019
SAW Video Media Art Centre seeks a highly motivated, self-directed, organized and collaborative individual to take up the role of Artistic Programmer for its exhibition and presentation venue, Knot Project Space. Reporting to the Director, the Artistic Programmer is responsible for the visioning, management and delivery of all Knot Project Space presentation programs, including exhibitions, talks, performances, and screenings, as well as its special projects, including the Expanded Practice artist residency and Knot Projections public art series.
The Artistic Programmer will develop yearly Knot Project Space programming that uniquely engages with contemporary artistic practice and its surrounding discourses. The Artistic Programmer will also seek to engage audiences and members of the community beyond standard presentation programming to cultivate focused discursive contexts, such as seminars, discussion groups and other collectively driven programs. The Artistic Programmer will demonstrate an interest in continuing the development of Knot Project Space’s experimentalism, in all of its possible trajectories. This position welcomes an individual with an adventurous approach to programming and curation, while also rooting these efforts within SAW Video’s wider vision as artist-run centre, and the collaborative systems of support that occur within the wider institution.
The Artistic Programmer must have experience delivering thoughtful video and media art programming as well as prior knowledge of the broader arts and culture community of Ottawa and its surrounding regions (including SAW Video’s diverse community). The Artistic Programmer will have a clear understanding of artist-run centre culture and history which uniquely positions our centre.
- A minimum of 2 years of video and media art related programming/curatorial experience;
- Extensive knowledge of contemporary media art practice and the media arts milieu in Canada and internationally;
- Proven success in project grant writing in a not-for-profit capacity as well as excellent critical writing experience;
- Key characteristics: passionate, organized, flexible, process driven, joyful, communicative, willing to learn, eager to face challenge, ability to receive constructive feedback, passionate about fulfilling SAW Video’s mission and strategic vision;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational (i.e., public speaking) communication skills;
- Ability to thrive in a demanding, fast-paced not-for-profit environment;
- Outstanding planning and organizational skills with the ability to effectively prioritize;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with large groups;
- Adobe Creative Cloud skills considered an asset;
- The ability to speak more than one language;
- An active art practice of their own.
SAW VIDEO WORKING CULTURE
The Artistic Programmer will most often fulfill their duties onsite at SAW Video’s offices or in Knot Project Space. Occasional offsite programming will be required as well as some staff travel and development opportunities that may take place remotely on evenings and or weekends. The Artistic Programmer will most often hold a 10:00am-5:00pm schedule, working Monday-Friday or Tuesday-Saturday, depending on exhibitions. The ideal candidate must be flexible with weekend work as required as you are the representative on behalf of the organization at most of Knot Project Space events.
SAW Video Media Art Centre is an intersectional feminist organization and employer that is eager and active in breaking down barriers for our community through our programs and resources. We respect everyone who works here, volunteers here or visits here and treat them with the thoughtfulness and kindness akin to how we treat our friends. We respect our physical spaces as we would our own home or other cherished space(s). SAW Videos working culture prioritizes joy, self-determination, pragmatism, reflection, flexibility, accountability to the organization and accountability to each other.
Find out more about the position responsibilities, compensation and the application procedure, here. We appreciate the interest of all who apply.