Located in Toronto, Ontario, The ArQuives is one of the largest independent LGBTQ2+ archives in the world. With a focus on Canadian content, The ArQuives acquires, preserves, and provides public access to information and collections in any medium. Our organization also offers a range of research, exhibition, educational, and community programming. The ArQuives seeks a Trans Digitization Assistant for a contract position (September 2022 – December 2022).
The Trans Digitization Assistant is responsible for the digitization of archival collections related to the Trans experience. This will include textual records, photographs, video, audio, and other print media. They will create metadata for the digitized material and work to upload the material to Omeka. Onsite work is required.
The ArQuives has a COVID-19 Vaccine and Safety Policy for all staff, volunteers, and researchers. Proof of vaccination will be required for any employee. Any applicants with exemptions due to a medical reason or religious belief must submit an accommodation request. Accommodations will be granted where they do not cause The ArQuives undue hardship or pose a direct threat to the health and safety of staff, volunteers, and community members.
The ArQuives acknowledges and is committed to addressing historical inequities within our organization. We encourage applications from marginalized communities, including those who identify as Indigenous, women, trans, non-binary, gender non-conforming, Black, people of colour, and persons with disabilities.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities
- Digitize archival collections related to the trans experience
- Metadata creation
- Uploading material to Omeka
- Working with our partners at the Digital Trans Archive
Qualification and Experience
- Experience working in archives, museums, libraries, or heritage organizations.
- Experience with digitizing various formats of media.
- Experience working with Dublin Core.
- Knowledge and understanding of Omeka, Google Suite, Inmagic, Basecamp, and AtoM are an asset.
- Knowledge of LGBTQ2+ history and communities, with a focus on Trans experiences.
- The ability to take the initiative and prioritize with strong attention to detail.
- A Strong commitment to the vision and mission of The ArQuives.
Organization website: arquives.ca
Application deadline: September 5, 2022 @ 5 pm EST
Estimated start date: September 19, 2022
Hours and Salary: 22.5 hours/week, $23/hour
Interested candidates should send a résumé and cover letter as one PDF document, indicating where you saw the posting, to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Trans Digital Assistant” in the email subject line.
The ArQuives thanks all applicants; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.