Sales & Marketing Coordinator
We are seeking a full-time sales and marketing coordinator. This position entails liaising with key accounts and our US sales team, managing relationships with independent booksellers and librarians, analyzing and reporting on sales data, coordinating author events, and assisting marketing staff with sales materials and other marketing vehicles.
We are looking, especially, for someone who reads widely and well, someone who is familiar with the types of books we publish and can understand and place them in a wider context. We are looking for someone who can talk and write about books intelligently and with enthusiasm and enjoys proselytizing on their behalf. A person who enjoys working with booksellers and buyers, discussing ideas, making things, someone who likes mail and isn’t afraid of heavy lifting: the real business of books is moving boxes from one place to another, and then back again.
Though we ideally are looking for someone to join us in our Windsor office, consideration will be given if the best candidate requires a hybrid or remote role. Please make clear whether you are applying for an in-person or remote position in your cover letter.
- Liaise with key accounts across North America to increase awareness of our books, including scheduling and holding sales meetings with Canadian accounts and related follow up
- Analyze sales data and report on the performance of individual titles and the list as a whole and assist with sales projections, stock management, and reprint schedules
- Work in collaboration with sales representatives in the US so they are informed and enthusiastic about new titles and present in person and remotely at sales conferences
- Coordinate author events with host accounts
- Develop academic and new markets and solicit course adoptions and direct sales
- Create and implement special promotions and co-op for key titles
- Write funding applications and grants which pertain to marketing, sales, and author travel
- Assist with planning and implementing national and international marketing strategies for 16–20 books annually and interact with colleagues and authors to strategize marketing and publicity opportunities and to plan and execute promotional and publicity events
- Assist with metadata and other digital marketing vehicles, including Edelweiss, Catalist, and Bookmanager catalogues
- Assist with production and coordinate the mailing of seasonal print catalogues and newsletters
- Assist with production and distribution of electronic newsletters and other title updates
- Assist with production of promotional material such as shelftalkers, postcards, bookmarks, posters and advertisements
- Assist with catalogue and cover copy for various markets and soliciting blurbs and endorsements
- Assist with updates on the press’s website
- Travel to trade shows, press events, and sales conferences
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, skills, and abilities required:
- Individuals must be extremely organized and detail-oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Must have a high degree of creativity and the ability to think strategically
- Must be willing to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Computer skills include: Word and Excel experience required. Experience with Photoshop, InDesign and Acrobat would be an asset.
Education and experience:
- Previous experience in the book publishing and/or bookselling industry is required
- Previous sales experience would be an asset
Ultimately what we’re looking for is the best possible person for the job. We’ll be more impressed by what you’ve read and how you write and speak, by how you think, and where you’ve worked—including the automotive factory or shoe store—than where you went to school.
Salary will be commensurate with experience but will start at $50,000 with additional flexible health spending account.
Who we are:
Biblioasis is an award-winning independent publishing house based in Windsor, Ontario. We publish approximately twenty-five titles a year, including short fiction, novels, poetry, literary criticism, memoir, belle lettres, local and regional history, and general non-fiction. We are also the publishers of the critical journal CNQ: Canadian Notes & Queries and the annual Best Canadian anthologies.
Email your resume and cover letter to Vanessa Stauffer at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, September 8, 2023. In your cover letter please pitch us on three books you love and why you think we should read them. If you want to include something about why you want to work in publishing, and specifically why you want to work at Biblioasis, that would definitely be considered an asset.