Interim Artistic Director, PAVED Arts
Temporary Position – Term of employment: March 29 to August 27, 2021
Application Deadline: March 1, 2021
PAVED Arts is welcoming applications for the position of “Interim Artistic Director.” This call is open to applicants from across the country with an option to work remotely/from another city and negotiate an on-site period (following COVID safety protocols).
PAVED Arts is located in Saskatoon and is a non-profit, artist-run centre for research, production, presentation and dissemination of contemporary photographic, audio, video, electronic and digital art. Our mandate is to present contemporary art with an emphasis in photographic, media art and new media practices, new media artwork. Through our production and presentation activities, PAVED Arts supports local, regional and national artists working in the ʻpavedʼ arts (photography, audio, video, electronic, digital), as well as regional audiences and local communities. PAVED Arts is committed to employment equity, and we encourage, seek out and prioritize applications from Indigenous people, people with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women.
This employment opportunity is designed, in part, to cover the desk of the PAVED Arts Artistic Director during an extended leave of absence, but further to develop new programs and bring an exciting and fresh perspective to the organization. The Interim Artistic Director will oversee the implementation of project(s) to be staged remotely, virtually, and/or in PAVED Arts main gallery space for the period of time of the term of this position.
The scope of work will involve:
- Development of exhibition themes/concepts
- Studio visits, selection and curation of artist(s) project(s)
- Working with the Executive Director, ensuring program costs fall within budgeted allotments
- Procuring artist bios, images, and developing a statement on the exhibition in a timely manner for communications
- Potential to write curatorial text(s) for the project(s) to be published in the fifth edition of “PAVED Meant”
- Assist with gallery installation
- Coordination of activities within the gallery space, including sub-contracted gallery prep, shared google calendar visit schedule, etc.
- Maintain day-to-day office /correspondence
- Self motivated and ambitious, with experience working in a gallery setting.
- Moderate computer skills (Word, Excel, Photoshop and Illustrator) and familiarity with social media platforms.
- Interest in Canadian contemporary media arts (photography, audio, video and digital arts) essential.
- Working knowledge of the contemporary media arts community and artist-run network.
- Interest and/or experience with exhibition curation.
- Interest and/or experience writing critical texts on media or contemporary art.
Members of the community who self-identify as Indigenous/Black/People of Colour, as well as members of the 2SLGBTQ+ communities are encouraged to apply.
PAVED sees the value in all relevant unpaid volunteer and community work as equivalent to paid work and we value lived experience as relevant alongside, or in replacement of formal education degrees wherever possible. We are committed to removing barriers to employment that are faced by equity-seeking groups and encourage (but do not require) members of these groups to self-identify as such in their cover letters.
Qualified applicants must apply by March 1, 2021.
The position will commence in late March and complete at the end of August 2021. This is a 35-hours per week position at $26 per hour.
How to Apply:
Please e-mail your resume and letter of interest to:
Travis Cole at firstname.lastname@example.org