Greenhouse is a process-led, interdisciplinary residency at Tarragon, beginning in summer 2023, concluding in January 2024.
We are seeking ideas and projects that have not previously been publicly presented, and are in early stages of development. We are especially interested in projects that engage their audience as an active presence in the art-making, and require this performance-based feedback to grow.
Tarragon Theatre creates, develops and produces new Canadian plays and provides the conditions for that new work to thrive through high-quality development, production and administrative infrastructure. We support the exploration of storytelling and artistic forms that champion the scope of theatrical possibility. Tarragon Theatre trains and supports new generation, emerging and established artists through extensive residencies, flexible play development programs and substantial producing capabilities. Its rehearsal halls, studios and theatre spaces are used extensively by the arts community for the creation and production of new work.
Greenhouse supports projects from conception to first public sharing. Projects receive:
– a $5000.00 residency fee
– rehearsal/development space and resources at Tarragon Theatre to freely explore
– dramaturgical, marketing, and technical support
– a portion of box-office revenues
– inter-artist collaboration and networking opportunities
– letters of support for grant-writing requests
We are seeking to support ideas that have not previously been publicly presented, and are in early stages of development. We are especially interested in projects that engage their audience as an active presence in the art-making, and require this performance-based feedback to grow.
We invite playwrights, devisors, dancers, clowns, puppeteers, multi-media artists, drag-kings, -queens, and -things to apply; any artist who is ready to explore, provoke, and play.
A 1-page cover letter that explores the following:
– The idea or project you are creating.
– What urgent questions are you asking within your artistic practice?
– What forms are you exploring?
– How will the residency serve you and your process?
– Who is your target audience, and how do you intend to connect with them through performance?
*** Please note that you may offer the above in audio or video format (3 mins max)
– A CV
– An artistic sample (eg. video clips; max 5 mins, photos, portfolio link, etc)
To apply, please send by email to Justin Miller, Artistic Producer and Greenhouse Festival Director (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please use the subject: Greenhouse Application – NAME – Project Name (if applicable).
The application deadline is Monday, May 15, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
Shortlisted artists will be offered follow-up interviews with the Greenhouse curatorial team; all artists will be contacted by July 1, 2023.
Tarragon Theatre believes in a richly inclusive working environment and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation pertaining to accessibility at any stage of the application process, please let us know.
For more information, please visit our website: www.tarragontheatre.com