Date Posted: Nov 11, 2020
Application Deadline: Dec 01, 2020
Start Date: Mar 01, 2021
Salary From: 60K To 65K
Region: Kitchener/Waterloo Area
Employee Benefits: Other (e.g. flex time, comp tickets, etc.)
Check Additional Info section for more Employee Benefits
Organization’s Field/Discipline: The Arts
Job’s focus: Administrative
Job Type: Full-time
Career Level: Upper management
Stratford Summer Music
Stratford Summer Music has been operating an annual multi-week music festival set in indoor and outdoor venues in Stratford, Ontario since 2001. With an artistic vision to produce, to the highest standards possible, an annual program of diverse and exciting musical performances by local, provincial, national and international artists and to provide the widest possible range of musical genres on our stages, Stratford Summer Music exposes our audiences to a high standard of musical excellence.
The General Manager of SSM reports to the Board of Directors of the Stratford Arts Foundation (Board). Working closely as a partner with the Artistic Director who develops the programming and special events of each season, the General Manager is the senior administrative officer of the organization, generally responsible for the music festival’s financial, administrative, office management, personnel, marketing and promotional affairs.
• Manage day-to-day operations and business of the festival and to work closely with the Artistic Director who is responsible for the artistic content and presentations of the festival.
• Responsible for monthly reports to the Board, and committees of the Board as required.
• To be responsible, upon Board approval, and with assistance from the Treasurer, for administering all financial activities of the festival; responsibilities include but are not limited to:
a) Preparation of the yearly budgets in consultation and co-operation with the Artistic Director, for presentation to the Board
b) Preparation of monthly financial reports for the Board under the direction of the Treasurer and circulated prior to each Board meeting.
c) Support the Artistic Director with, as necessary, the negotiation and the overseeing of the fulfillment of all contracts required to deliver the festival season in accordance with the Foundation’s delegated authorities and approval limits.
d) Preparation, with oversight of fund development / communications staff, for all fundraising documents eg. Donor, Sponsor and Grant applications
e) Providing information and support to the Artistic Director and Fund Development Committee that may be required for major donor requests.
f) Ensure financial records are accurate and up to date.
g) Institute and maintain, with the assistance of the Board, effective budgetary control and administrative procedures.
h) Co-operate with the auditors in their annual audit of the organization’s financial position which is approved by the Board and presented at the Stratford Arts Foundation Annual General Meeting.
i) Assist the Board with governance review and policies as required.
j) Be a signing officer of the organization along with the Chair and Treasurer of the SSM Board.
• To be responsible for the smooth running of the organization’s office and for making recommendations that could enhance or streamline the office operations; responsibilities include but are not limited to:
a) Ensure all required SSM documentation is held at the SSM office in a logical and secure manner and is accessible to appropriate individuals as required.
b) Administer and monitor ticket sales, manage cash intake, control house capacity and other details during the performance season.
c) In consultation with the Artistic Director, select, hire, train and supervise administrative, volunteer and seasonal staff as required.
d) Ensure website, social media sites, print and phone messaging are monitored and maintained with relevant information.
Fundraising and Special Projects
• Co-ordinate fundraising activities towards achieving the budgets, annual fundraising objectives and to:
a) Maintain and grow the festival’s donor bases.
b) Work with appropriate Board committees and staff to ensure that major fundraising activities and projects are successful
c) Identify and develop additional opportunities for the advancement and development of festival fundraising activities.
d) Work with the Artistic Director and the Board to maintain existing major donors and supporters and to identify and win new major donors.
Sales, Marketing and Promotion
• To be responsible for marketing and promoting the festival; responsibilities include but are not limited to:
a) In consultation with the Artistic Director to establish the sales, marketing and promotional direction of the festival.
b) Hiring and monitoring the work of marketing, media and promotional personnel required to execute the annual plans.
c) Representing the festival, as needed, on dealings with artistic and professional associations.
d) Representing the festival and the Foundation at various functions, as needed.
• Three to five years of experience with senior management level responsibility in the not for profit sector, ideally in the arts/cultural field
• Understanding of, and ideally experience with, cultural festival operations, production and artistic processes.
• Passion for the arts and professional live music
• Eagerness to foster SSM Festival’s commitment to new and diverse musical and educational experiences
• Exceptional interpersonal skills and an ability to manage relationships with a diverse range of personalities in various roles within the organization and in the larger local and national communities
• Strong strategic and analytical skills, with the ability to interpret information quickly and accurately and to implement directives
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Experience with grant application process
• Excellent organizational and time-management skills
• Ability to lead, as well as work within a team structure
• Sound decision-making skills
• Ability to work comfortably in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of information
How to Apply:
Applications and nominations are now being accepted.
Applications should be received by 1 December, 2020.
For queries, or to submit an application or nomination, email in confidence to:
You may also contact the Chair of the Search Committee, Mary E. Hofstetter, at the above email address.
Please note that only electronic applications will be accepted. While all applications are welcome and appreciated, the Search Committee will only contact those candidates who are shortlisted for follow-up and/or an interview.
Interviews will be held in December 2020 and January, 2021. It is the intention of SSM to select the new General Manager by mid January, 2021. If possible, a brief transition period with Ms. Matheson will be arranged. The tenure of the new GM will begin at the commencement of the transition period or March 1, 2021, depending on hiring arrangements.