Xpace Cultural Centre believes that everyone should be paid for their labour. If artists and cultural workers do not begin to value their own labour then no one else will. Institutions that can afford to pay interns must do so as changes to employment policies won’t happen as long as people continue to accept unpaid labour as a necessary part of being an artist and designer. For this reason we do not offer unpaid internships at any time.
The OCAD Student Union and Xpace are committed to ensuring that the University campus and broader OCAD U community are inclusive spaces where all members are treated with respect and dignity. We encourage applications from women, Aboriginal peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that we will endeavour to accommodate job applicants with a disability during the hiring process in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code guidelines and other applicable legislation.
Director, Xpace Cultural Centre
Xpace Cultural Centre is seeking a Director to join the Xpace team.
Xpace Cultural Centre is a not-for-profit artist-run centre dedicated to providing emerging and student artists, designers, curators and writers with opportunities to showcase their work in a professional setting. Xpace is committed to maintaining an anti-oppressive, queer positive environment, welcoming marginalized, racialized and indigenous folks. Xpace is supported by the OCAD Student Union and the Toronto Arts Council.
The OCAD Student Union is committed to ensuring that the University campus and broader OCAD U community are inclusive spaces where all members are treated with respect and dignity. OCADSU encourages applications from everyone, including but not limited to women, Aboriginal peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations or gender identity. Please note that the OCAD Student Union will endeavour to accommodate job applicants with a disability during the hiring process in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code guidelines and other applicable legislation.
Xpace is seeking an emerging arts administrator for the position of Director who will work with Xpace staff, Interns and the OCAD Student Union, to manage, plan and execute gallery operations, internal and external collaborations and strategic development. The Director will work to develop and execute projects that offer students and emerging artists and designers the opportunity to develop and challenge their careers in art and design. Xpace’s goal is to facilitate and nurture developing practices in art and design. As Director you will work with the Xpace team to develop and maintain an environment that supports this mission. Additionally the Director will be responsible for overseeing the organization of annual fundraisers, operation/programming budgets, monthly/annual reports and our annual publication VOLUME. In the role of Director you will report to the OCAD Student Union board of directors, specifically the Director of Operations, while also liaising with students and faculty to bridge the OCADU student body, local and national arts organizations, artists, designers and the general public for all information pertaining to Xpace.
This is a full-time position at 40 hours per week commencing with training in January, 2020. Compensation begins at $25.00/hour. A benefits plan is available after a three-month probationary period.
- Managing and overseeing work of staff team at Xpace Cultural Centre;
- Ensuring day-to-day operations of Xpace Cultural Centre are running smoothly in a timely and organized manner;
- Providing mentorship and support for exhibiting artists and designers, emerging writers, and curators;
- Overseeing Xpace’s annual operating and programming budget;
- Working with bookkeeper and accounting firm to ensure financial records are accurate and up to date;
- Overseeing payroll, invoicing, and payments;
- Writing project grants/proposals, and annual operating grant applications;
- Submitting written reports and presenting them at monthly meetings of the OCAD Student Union Board of Directors;
- Maintaining corporate records, such as annual filings with CRA and the province of Ontario;
- Facilitating an ongoing relationship with Xpace’s membership;
- Ensuring that Xpace is compliant with applicable legislation such as the Employment Standards Act and Occupational Health and Safety Act, among others;
- Developing and maintaining institutional partnerships;
- Ensuring that the vision, mandate and objectives of Xpace are carried out through all Xpace’s programming initiatives;
- Managing the planning, organization and execution of special projects including our annual anthology, VOLUME;
- Ensuring ongoing maintenance of gallery, office, and storage spaces;
- Overseeing institutional social media (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook) and promotional material;
- Acting as primary spokesperson for Xpace internally and externally within the OCADU community.
- A Masters degree in Visual Art, Art History, Design, Arts Management, or equivalent experience;
- A demonstrated interest and experience with OCADU Student community;
- Excellent administration, communication, verbal and organizational skills;
- Experience working with Quickbooks accounting software and overseeing budgets;
- Experience managing staff and interns;
- An understanding of the non-profit and/or artist-run sector in Canada;
- Comfortable with grant and proposal writing;
- A dedicated interest in student and emerging Art and Design practices;
- Familiarity with anti-oppression and anti-racist frameworks;
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends;
- Editorial and/or curatorial experience will be considered an asset;
- Comfortable working in a Mac environment.
Deadline: December 5, 2019 at 10:00am.
**XPACE ONLY ACCEPTS APPLICATIONS BY EMAIL. Applications received in person / by mail will not be accepted. No phone calls please.
Please email cover letter , CV and two references to email@example.com with the subject heading: ATTN Xpace Hiring Committee. Applications must be received by December 5, 2019 at 10:00am.