The Kelowna Art Gallery seeks an experienced and accomplished Curator to develop, plan, and execute the exhibitions and collections programs.
Reporting to the Executive Director and as a key member of the Management Team, the Curator actively partners and collaborates with all colleagues in the organization, as well as maintain healthy relationships in the community and globally. The Curator will be responsible for establishing artistic priorities for the Gallery by creating exhibitions, programs, and publications that capture and engage diverse audiences.
The candidate will provide direction on the research, development, preservation, documentation and exhibition of the collection, and will ensure that the collection is made known and accessible to various publics through the Gallery programs.
The Curator oversees a team including an assistant curator/registrar, a preparator and contractors, as well as adjunct and contract (guest) curators.
- Lead and effectively deliver curatorial priorities aligned to the KAG’s overall vision including exhibition development, programming, and collection management.
- Expand the Gallery’s audience by creating exhibitions, programs, and publications that capture and engage a diverse audience.
- Plans, builds, and presents our permanent collection in collaboration with the Executive Director and the Acquisitions Committee.
- Identifies and researches significant trends, issues, and opportunities in the visual arts.
- Inspires our visitors and public by providing a meaningful understanding of art.
- Establishes and fosters healthy and long-term relationships with our artists, donors, Board members, employees, volunteers, and other stakeholders.
- Guides, motivates, and develops the team to deliver on goals and projects aligned with our mission, vision, and values.
- Ensures budgets and financial goals are met.
- Post-secondary education in an art-related field (Master’s degree or equivalent)
- Comprehensive knowledge of art and cultural history with an emphasis on Canadian Art.
- Minimum 10 years of related experience in curatorial management with a track record of partnering with others to establish a long term, comprehensive vision for historical, modern, and contemporary art.
- Demonstrated historical research abilities and a publication record in an area of expertise.
- Strong sense/understanding of local context as well as proven history of engagement with Indigenous, LGBTQIA2S+, and BIPOC communities.
- Proven ability to lead an engaged team of professionals.
- Demonstrated history of achieving exceptional results with available resources and budget.
- Strong collaborative relationship builder.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and intercultural skills.
- Innovative and influential.
- Diplomatic and authentic.
- Adaptable and agile.
- Curious and open minded.
We invite candidates to apply by submitting a tailored cover letter and CV by March 31, 2021 to Executivedirector@kelownaartgallery.com
At the Kelowna Art Gallery, we are committed to being an employer who reflects our community and fosters an inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage candidates who are BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ and people with disabilities to apply for this incredible opportunity.