Want to do work that makes a difference? Join us as we work to change lives and build a more inclusive economy in Calgary! Check out our mission, vision, and values on our website.
Momentum is an award winning and nationally recognized community economic development organization utilizing innovative approaches to poverty reduction.
We use financial literacy, skills training, entrepreneurship training, and microloans as tools to empower people as they exit poverty.
We are an employer of choice and were selected as one of Alberta’s Top 70 Employers for 2016. We provide competitive compensation and benefits with an unparalleled work environment. We are professional and diverse, so you’ll find a range of people and backgrounds working here: from MBAs to social workers and everything in between.
Momentum staff are non-judgmental and receptive in approach and reflect genuine concern, respect, and commitment towards the individual, family, and community. We’re serious about our work but we don’t take ourselves too seriously and love to celebrate and have fun along the way.
What You’ll Be Doing
Our resource development team at Momentum is poised to raise funds for Calgary’s economic recovery work. Momentum’s programs will be on the front lines of supporting people who have been hardest hit by the economic impacts of COVID to get back on their feet again.
Fundraising at Momentum is highly relational and creative. We strive to build authentic relationships with donors, and present Momentum’s work in a way that honours the participants who take our programs, and educates others about the root causes and systems that create poverty in the first place.
Help be a creative engine for our fundraising team. Design events that are authentic, fun, and impactful. Write content that is compelling and well researched. Build relationships rooted in empathy and passion for the mission.
Key Responsibility Areas (overview):
- Primary “architect” and event designer for our annual Momentum engagement events.
- Develop creative stories and content for communications with donors.
- Craft compelling, well researched reports and proposals that stand out and present a strong case for the impact of Momentum’s work.
- Oversee timely, quality stewardship for a segment of donors.
Who We’re Looking For
As we talked with our team about this new position, we came up with a “wish list” of sorts for the kind of candidate we are looking for. At a glance, you are someone who:
- Knows how to create and facilitate a meaningful experience for people who are gathered together. You have experience delivering/facilitating creative events or sessions where those in the room walk away feeling moved and inspired.
- Crafts fantastic stories and communicates compelling content. You’ve got a track record of writing and communicating stories in a way that stands out, is persuasive, and causes people to stop and listen.
- Has exceptional relationship building skills. To us this means: you are easy to work with, you care about people, you can authentically share yourself with others, and you bring joy and fun into your work.
- Is passionate about creating an inclusive economy and ending poverty. You’ve had experiences that demonstrate how this work clearly lines up with your values and the contribution you want to make to the world.
- Is adaptable to using digital platforms. You are comfortable with technology and can adapt storytelling and engagement opportunities to digital environments.
- Manages multiple project elements like a ninja. You can stay organized, and deliver on time, at a high standard of excellence.
- Remains laser focused on results. You strive for clarity of goals, and you align your efforts, energy, and focus to achieve them.
Overall, the skills and attributes above are what matter more to us than whether you’ve been in a fundraising role before, or exactly the kind of education you may have. You could have an arts, social work, or marketing background, and equally be a great fit for the role.
- Serve as the primary architect and program designer for our annual engagement events:
- Lead the event design for the annual fundraising event. Event attendees leave inspired and hopeful about Momentum’s work, and the event meets its fundraising goal.
- Lead the event design for one to two donor engagement events or campaigns annually. These are creative opportunities to educate donors about the work and engage them in the mission.
- Lead the event design for annual org-wide events including the annual AGM celebration and holiday open house.
- Develop creative stories and content for communications with donors:
- Donor communications stand out above the clutter while aligning with Momentum values/culture.
- Craft compelling, well researched reports and proposals that stand out and present a strong case for the impact of Momentum’s work:
- Donor proposals and reports for major gift donors and funders are timely and lead to greater investment in Momentum’s work.
- Written pieces are well researched, and deeply linked to Momentum’s work as a community economic development organization.
- Oversee timely, quality donor stewardship for a segment of donors:
- Donation thank you calls are made within two business days of gift.
- Oversee monthly donor portfolio, and nurture the newly launched digital monthly giving campaign.
- A portfolio of annual donors receive timely and compelling updates.
- Departmental and community involvement:
- Development of a broad network of relationships throughout organization to support fundraising efforts and contribute to organization-wide success.
To apply please forward resume with a creative covering letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. State competition number MOM0201 in subject line of email and Attention: Hiring Committee
Closing Date: Until suitable candidate is found.
Applicants must state salary expectations in their cover letter.
Momentum is an equal opportunity employer. Persons from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To see why Momentum is a great place to work and what we have to offer, visit momentum.org.