JOB OPPORTUNITY: Are you techy? Do you obsess over CODECS? Then come join CFMDC as Media Arts Technician! This is a contract position from July 19, 2021 – January 30, 2022. Remote applicants may apply. Applications accepted until the position is filled.
Location: Remote work from home, physical office located in Toronto.
Compensation: $22.00 hourly
Duration: Fixed Term Covering for Parental Leave: July 19, 2021 – January 30, 2022
Closing Date: Applications accepted until the position is filled
Job Level: Coordinator
CFMDC regards equity and diversity as an integral part of the media arts sector and is committed to accessibility for all employees. As such, we encourage applications from women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and racialized people. We welcome applicants from outside Toronto.
If you require accommodations in the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Established in 1967, CFMDC is a not-for-profit, non-commercial media arts distributor that specializes in independent, artist-made work on film and video, including works from historically underrepresented communities. We advocate for a holistic understanding of production, distribution and exhibition that prioritizes artist rights, accessibility and the creation of new audiences through education and critical thinking. We have one of the most important collections of artist-made moving images on film in Canada.
The Media Arts Technician will work with the Collections and Digital Infrastructure Coordinator and under the supervision of the Director. The Media Arts Technician will ensure that all products and deliverables are in line with the aims, policies and mandate of CFMDC.
Responsibilities of The Media Arts Technician Include:
- Ensuring quality of artist’s digital files at CFMDC, including intake, storage and distribution;
- Authoring, burning and printing exhibition and sale DVDs/Blu-rays, including preparing cover inserts with relevant information (title, synopsis, etc.);
- Digitizing, converting, and compressing video in the collection;
- Coordinating technical for Vucavu (an online streaming platform for media arts) as needed;
- Uploading files from new artist submissions;
- FTP transfers;
- Delivering and invoicing specialized technical services for CFMDC membership and broader public constituents, specifically with regard to Digital Cinema;
- Packages (DCPs) and Closed Captioning;
- Performing regular maintenance of the office computer network and preview sites;
- Regularly backing up files and the online database(s);
- Performing regular maintenance on CFMDC technical equipment and coordinating repairs when necessary;
- Providing weekly verbal reports at staff meetings and monthly written reports to be delivered to management;
- Special Project Support as needed;
- Assisting artists and clients with technical needs;
- Assisting with A/V for CFMDC, including events, screenings, etc.;
- Performing small I.T. tasks to support staff and office environment.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Experience and or education working in the digital media, cinema or media arts sector;
- Video production or editing experience;
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills;
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud, specifically Premiere and Media Encoder;
- Knowledge of Easy DCP or equivalent DCP creation software, MacCaption or equivalent captioning software, Filemaker, Adobe Encore, Photoshop, Illustrator, Davinci Resolve;
- Familiarity with online video platforms and project management software;
- Understanding of analogue video and film formats;
- Experience with analogue video equipment an asset;
- Administrative and record-keeping skills;
- Ability to work positively and constructively with staff, Board, and volunteers;
- Flexibility and adaptability to assist with new projects, challenges and technologies as they arise;
- Ability to take initiative and work in a self-directed manner;
- Experience working in the non-profit sector is an asset.
Salary and Benefits
37.5 hours per week at a rate of $22.00 per hour.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter addressing your qualifications with a resume and at least one reference to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and applications will be accepted ongoing until the position is filled. For further information, please visit www.cfmdc.org or email Genne Speers, Director: firstname.lastname@example.org.