Carnation is a submission-based zine that publishes art and writing created through a lens of diaspora and displacement by BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and people of colour).
Vol 2 (Pleasure)
Carnation’s theme for Volume 2 is Pleasure. This theme is rooted in the desire to foster healing, nourishment, resilience, and solidarity for diasporic and displaced people, and awareness and connection for those who witness us. How do we cultivate pleasure in these times despite and in spite of political turmoil? How can we recenter pleasure in the discourse of diaspora and displacement and in our lives in order to complicate the narrative of loss and longing associated with these lived experiences?
We are accepting submissions related to (but not limited to) the following topics on pleasure:
Relationships, intimacies, connection, liberation, freedom, healing, ritual, play, embodiment, relationality, sex, erotic power, kink, consent, organizing, activism, feminist killjoy, accessibility, care, love, food, nourishment, abundance, indulgence, leisure, recreation, culture, cultural production, diasporic romanticism, space, place, land, home.
- Art should be submitted as hi-res images (300 ppi, max 8.5 x 11”)
- Include any credits as necessary
- Maximum word count for text works: 1000
- Maximum works per submission: 5
- If you are submitting multiple works, please indicate if they are to be published as stand-alone pieces or as part of a grouping (ie. diptychs, writing with an accompanying image, a series, etc)
How to Submit
Email email@example.com with:
- Your name to be published
- A bio (max 50 words)
- Your instagram handle, if you’d like to be tagged
Friday, May 1, 2020, 11:59pm
- Selected contributors will be paid $200CAD and will get a free copy of the publication. We thank our funder Canada Council for the Arts for making this possible.
- Your submission will become part of Carnation’s collection, meaning it will be part of the first print and any future reprints.
- Your work may be featured on social media. Please let us know if you do not want to appear online.
- For more information: HERE