Artists are invited to apply for a group exhibition titled MoveObjects On, curated by Alison Postma and Emma Green, set to run on site and online at the plumb in Toronto in September 2021.
the plumb is a large basement gallery in the Corso Italia neighborhood with two main spaces and several smaller nooks. When we first entered the space, we found it reminiscent of the shopping malls or department store basements from our youth; this is the jumping-off point for MoveObjects On. Our relationship to the mall has changed significantly for many reasons, yet in our minds it remains a place of fantasy, abundance and escape.
We are interested in art that considers themes of consumerism, capitalism, shopping malls and identity.
- How does consumption lead to identity and individuality?
- How do you want something material on your own accord?
- How is your identity constructed around what you do and do not own?
- Is shopping a leisure activity? Is it a chore?
- How do we produce and reproduce through shopping?
- Who is welcome in the mall? Who is not?
- What is the relationship between space, people, services and commodities in the mall?
- What makes a space engineered for consumption?
- How can we navigate living in an experience economy?
- How does the mall satisfy? How does it leave you wanting more?
The following is a list of recommended items to include:
- An artist statement describing your practice
- A proposal describing the work
- 5-10 reference images/video of previous and/or proposed work
- Technical Description: a list of technical requirements (equipment + materials) necessary for installation at the plumb (if applicable)
- C.V. (optional)
(None of these are strict requirements as we know submissions can be laborious and inaccessible, but please do what you can to introduce yourself and your ideas to us)
As this exhibition will also exist online, this call is also interested in works that may lend themselves to a digital platform or only exist online.
- DEADLINE: SUNDAY JUNE 13TH, 2021 AT 11:59 PM
- Please send submission documents by email (including images) in a single pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Video can be sent separately using Dropbox or links to video material on sharing platforms
- Works must be ready for exhibition by August 30th 2021. All applicants will be notified by June 30th 2021.
- Submissions of artworks in any and all mediums are welcomed, including writing. We especially encourage submissions from artists that are Black, Indigenous, people of colour, women, LGBTQ2+, people with disabilities and other marginalized communities.
- As the plumb is volunteer-run and we do not currently receive funding, we cannot provide artist fees. We are readily available to assist artists in the sourcing of external project funding, installation and potential material sourcing and needs. We acknowledge the precarity of the artist run-model and the nature of artist opportunities in the city and commit to actively working towards sustainable compensation for collaborators in time.
- If you have any questions contact email@example.com
- For more information about the plumb please visit: theplumb.ca