Call for media artists:
Northern Ontario Mobile Residency
N2M2L is excited to announce the Northern Ontario Mobile Residency program launching August 2019. Media artists will have the opportunity to explore the vast land of Northern Ontario from a mobile live/work studio with fully funded residencies. 2019 will be a pilot year offering 2 fully funded 1-2 week residencies. Self funded residency options will be available in 2020 – details to come spring 2019.
Our residencies will encourage media artists to connect with northern locales and communities and reflect on ideas of land, geography, and identity. We envision this program adding to the national media arts discourse by connecting northern communities to contemporary media arts practices and promoting our expansive region to Canadian artists by overcoming regional limitations.
Priority will be given to Indigenous artists and artists with contemporary practices that critically centralize the landscape.
Based in North Bay Ontario, the Near North Mobile Media Lab creates opportunities for artists and audiences to engage with media arts in northern Ontario regardless of class, age, gender, race, ability, or sexual orientation. N2M2L facilitates educational workshops, presents exhibitions, screenings and festivals, and provides support to our membership through equipment rentals, project assistance, and mentorships. Far from the centres of population in Ontario, our collective continues to encourage our peers and youth in their explorations of electronic media, in developing their film-making skills, and through the professional presentation of their art works.
Given the unique nature of this particular program, accessibility is limited. Although there is a ramp at the rear of the RV, doorways are quite narrow.
Duration: 1-2 weeks
Season: August 15 – October 12, 2019
Location: Northern Ontario
Application deadline: January 31st, 11:59pm, 2019
- Live/Work use of the Mobile Lab
- Fuel expenses up to 3000 kms
- Serviced Campsite Fees
- Stipend of $1500
- Travel to North Bay up to $500
- Driver’s Insurance
- Audio/Visual Media Equipment [list of N2M2L inventory]
- Canadian Artists
- New Media or Time-Based Practices, or works produced with digital technology
- Project falls within the season and duration limits
- Fine and Visual Arts such as painting, sculpture, print-making, etc.
- Works that do not physically or conceptually locate themselves within northern Ontario
- Create a Drop Box account: www.dropbox.com/register
- Create a folder labeled as Firstname_Lastname_RV2019 and load the following listed documents as a single PDF also saved as Firstname_Lastname_RV2019
- Share the folder with Alexander Rondeau: arondeau.digital.creator@
gmail.com(Drop Box provides instructions on folder sharing).
- Submission materials (all in one single PDF):
- A 500 word project proposal letter. In your letter, please consider how the mobile facet of this residency will benefit your project and your practice, how northern Ontario plays an important role in your proposal, and be sure to mention if you plan to work collaboratively with any specific northern community/ies. Please also indicate the dates in which you would like to use the RV for a 1-2 week period, if you will need driver assistance, and where you would like to take the RV during your residency.
- 10-15 images of work samples – if you are including work in progress samples related to your proposal, please clearly indicate this in your image list. Image files should be saved as a jpg format, audio files as an MP3 file, and video works should be uploaded to Vimeo with a link for jurors to access your work. Please clearly indicate which section of video or audio clips you wish to present jurors for a viewing maximum of 5 minutes and a listening maximum of 5 minutes.
- An image list indicating title, year, medium, and dimensions (if applicable).
- An up to date curriculum vitae, an artist biography (max. 200 words). Please remember to include contact information such as your email address and phone number.
Application deadline: January 31st, 11:59pm, 2019
How many funded residencies will you host per year?
Our programming committee will choose 2 artists for 2019. More residency options will be available for 2020 onwards – details to come in the spring.
Do I have to know how to drive an RV?
Options include independent or driver assisted by N2M2L staff. For independent drivers, timelines should allow for a one-day tutorial on safety and proper RV operation. Driver insurance included. For self-driven residencies a valid Ontario ‘G’ Driver’s License or equivalent is required.
How are artists chosen?
Residencies will be offered to artists selected by our programming committee based on viability and artistic merit.
What is included in the Living Space?
Click here for a list of what’s included and what to bring.
Where can I go?
Anywhere in Northern Ontario, defined as north of Parry Sound, accessible by RV. See map for reference.
RV Graphic: Thor Motor Coach Inc.
RV Photo: Vanessa Tignanelli