I saw all this continue on (detail), 2014, Finn O’Hara in collaboration with Steve Driscoll
Call for Artists: Paid Public Art Mentorship
Are you, or do you know, an artist, interested in gaining valuable training and hands-on experience in the development of large-scale public artwork?
As leaders in developing innovative public artwork, The STEPS Initiative, along with Brad Golden + Co is launching a unique public art mentorship, offering a paid opportunity to gain valuable training and hands-on experience related to developing large-scale permanent public artwork under the mentorship of Steve Driscoll.
We invite artists to apply for a public art mentorship (January – December 2019), during which they will have the opportunity to:
- Gain a fulsome understanding of how large-scale public artworks are commissioned
- Become familiar with diverse approaches to developing public art, including opportunities for community engagement
- Hone transferable technical and project management skills
- Forge new and valuable cross-sectoral relationships
- Access embedded training and hands-on learning opportunities
- Understand how the City of Toronto’s 1% for public art program works
- Gain valuable portfolio-building experience on a high-profile public project
- Earn an Artistic Mentee Honorarium of $5,000 CDN
We are looking for artists who:
- Have experience creating and executing visual arts projects (previous public art experience is not a requirement)
- Identify an alignment between their personal artistic practice and public artwork
- Are available throughout the identified mentorship period (while the artist is not expected to be available on an ongoing basis; there will be scheduled touch points throughout the project’s timeline)
- Are resourceful and independent; able to identify learning objectives in support of their own development
Submit the following by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 5pm EST Monday, January 14, 2019.
- Cover letter outlining desire to participate in this opportunity, highlighting connections to your artistic practice and learning objectives
- Artistic CV (maximum 2 pages)
- Up to 5 images of past sample work
Application materials should each be provided as an attachment with a filename that begins with the applicants last name.
Contact: Bebhinn Jennings, Program Manager. The STEPS Initiative. 416.366.6565. email@example.com