The Emerging Digital Artists Award (EDAA) is pleased to announce the 2021 Call for Applications is now open.
The EDAA is Canada’s major award for critical experimentation in digital media, co-presented by EQ Bank and Trinity Square Video. The 2021 edition launches with guest judges Cat Bluemke, Ashley Jane Lewis, and Suzanne Morrissette, a new visual identity by featured artist Khadija Aziz, and a prize structure that recognizes early-career digital artists for their exceptional work more than ever before.
Launched in 2015, the EDAA was established to celebrate early-career media artists working actively and creatively with digital technologies, awarding a single grand prize and four finalist prizes each year. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 EDAA shifted its structure by increasing the prize amount in lieu of an in-person award ceremony, awarding all five finalists a grand prize. The 2021 EDAA will continue to award five grand prizes, with other additional prize offerings detailed below.
For the 2021 EDAA:
- Five artists will each be awarded a $5,000 prize;
- Their award-winning works will be featured in a group exhibition at Trinity Square Video, as well as online, September 10-October 2, 2021
- Each artist will receive a one-year Production Membership to Trinity Square Video; and
- One of the five artists will earn a dedicated spot in Trinity Square Video’s 2022 Themed Commission residency program
Artists within the first five years of their professional careers are encouraged to apply. We welcome submissions of screen-based works that are not only created with digital technologies, but also speak to the concerns, ethics, and constructs of digital space. Artwork submissions may include, but are not limited to: images, videos, animations, GIFs, websites, games, applications, and immersive technologies.
To submit your work for consideration, follow these steps:
- Read full details on How to Apply, and don’t skip out on the Terms and Conditions
- Check out our Past Awards to learn more about previous winners and finalists
- Fill out the Online Application which includes a 200-word statement about your artwork, a short artist biography, and artist CV
Deadline for Applications: Tuesday, June 15, 2021, by 11:59 pm EST.