Regular Full-time (35 hours per week)
Are you a creative and talented editorial professional? Do you have a passion for research and editing with a keen eye for detail? Do you believe that art has the power to spark conversation, create community, and change lives? If yes, the Assistant Editor, Publications & Exhibitions opportunity at the AGO might be the right fit for you!
This is an incredible opportunity to be a part of the AGO – one of the largest art museums in North America. The AGO’s vision is to lead global conversations from Toronto through extraordinary collections, exhibitions and programs, and by reflecting the people who live here. Our mission is focused on art, audience and learning.
The Assistant Editor, Publications & Exhibitions will provide editorial services for all publications, permanent collection and exhibition-related materials. He/She/They will also be responsible for copyediting, proofreading and fact checking these materials and conducting research and picture research as necessary.
This role is best suited for someone who has:
- Two to three years of related experience as a copy-editor and/or substantive editor
- Bachelor’s degree or graduate certificate in visual art/art history/and/or publishing/ journalism with basic knowledge of art history and/or other relevant field
- Well-developed knowledge of English grammar, punctuation, and style – specifically, the Chicago Manual of Style
- Solid experience with production editing and proofreading
- Familiarity with fact-checking best practices and knowledge of research techniques
- Working knowledge of French required and other non-English language(s) considered an asset
- Capacity to navigate content from diverse cultural contexts and time periods
- Proficiency with various operating systems and software programs, including: Mac OSX, MS office, Adobe Creative Suite, and database, web, and file-transfer software
- Interpersonal and relationship-building skills in order to interact well with all stakeholders
- Keen understanding of how language/editing practices can lend themselves to creating a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive world
The AGO continues to build a high-performance culture as an employer-of-choice, with strong staff and volunteer satisfaction and engagement aligned to the AGO’s compelling mission, vision and values. At the AGO, we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace and are dedicated to hiring employees who reflect the communities we serve. We welcome and encourage candidates who are women, BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ and people with disabilities to apply for this new and exciting role. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act & the AGO’s Recruitment & Selection Policy for Staff, a request for accommodation will be considered throughout the hiring process.
To apply for this opportunity, please submit a tailored cover letter and CV via our website: https://ago.ca/jobs-and-volunteering by April 16, 2021 by 11:59PM. We thank all applicants but must advise that only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Salary Range for this position: $48,484 – $ 60,606 per annum