Call for Applicants: Artistic Director
Centre for Artistic and Social Practice
Reports to: Executive Director
Application Deadline: Friday April 16th, 2021
Centre for Artistic and Social Practice is dedicated to supporting artists with creation, production, presentation, and dissemination. Centre’s programming encourages experimentation through site-specific interventions, installations, new media, performances, hands-on research, creation and presentation, interpretation and dissemination, and promoting post-medium practices for artists. Our artistic mission is to support artists in a variety of ways: networking through our forums, breaking down barriers to engagement, connecting artists to different sectors, and creating inclusive workspaces. As an artistic leader in supporting and strengthening artistic discourse, Centre serves artists by providing opportunities for exhibiting and offering professional development opportunities through residencies.
The Artistic Director is responsible for overseeing all visual arts programming at Centre including the curation and coordination of Main and Members’ Gallery exhibitions, along with artist talks and affiliated public programming. The Artistic Director will also generate and circulate calls for submission as well as oversee coordination of public art projects and artist residencies. The candidate should also have grant writing experience and strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Managing exhibition programming and liaising with artists;
- Collaborating with peer organizations;
- Overseeing jury committees and submissions;
- Overseeing promotions and marketing;
- Managing programming budgets; and,
- Other general duties as specified.
- Strong background in and knowledge of contemporary Canadian and international art, applicants will preferably hold an MFA or MA in fine art, art history, curatorial studies, or museum studies.
- Two – three years’ experience with exhibitions and public programming.
- Strong administrative skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong time management and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work both collectively and independently.
- Computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office, Photoshop, and InDesign.
- Program development skills and promotional experience.
- Experience with artist-run centres.
- Knowledge of and connections to other artist-run centres and galleries in Canada and abroad.
All applications must include both a resume and cover letter and should be submitted electronically to email@example.com and addressed to the Executive Director. The deadline for applications is April 16th, 2021 at 5:00 pm.
Centre welcomes and strongly encourages people from marginalized communities and intersecting identities to apply.
Our 173 James North location is partially physically accessible. We have a level entrance leading to our shop, information desk, galleries, washroom and traditional print studio. Unfortunately, we do not have automatic doors or an elevator. Our silkscreen studios and digital lab are only accessible by stairs. We are working toward becoming a physically accessible space in the future.
Centre for Artistic + Social Practice
173 James St. N