Be part of Canada’s longest-running contemporary outdoor art fair!
Accepting applications until March 9, 2020 (11:59 PM)
Visual artists of all backgrounds are invited to apply for the 59th Toronto Outdoor Art Fair, taking place at Nathan Phillips Square in Toronto, Ontario from July 10-12, 2020. Apply to show your work alongside 360 juried artists and makers, welcoming 130,000 art enthusiasts and collectors from around the world for an art-filled weekend.
Why apply to TOAF?
- Grow your network: TOAF is the best attended art fair in Canada, with 130,000 visitors and 360+ fellow artists and makers over one weekend. Engage with the public and meet face-to-face with fellow art-lovers & buyers, artists, and the arts community at large.
- Be part of a juried showcase: Our expert panel of jurors chooses select Canadian and international artists and makers to showcase their work at the Fair. Be part of this legacy event which has hosted iconic artists like Edward Burtynsky and Barbara Astman in their early careers.
- You are the artist-entrepreneur: You, the Artist & Maker, retain 100% of the sales that you make. TOAF visitors spend over $2 million buying art over the weekend, with even more spent post-Fair.
- Win one of our prestigious awards: We award over $40,000 monetary prizes and in-kind benefits to 25 award winners annually. This is the largest awards program for art fairs in North America.
- Don’t break the bank: We believe that artists should have access to budget-friendly booth packages. As a charitable organization run by artists for artists, TOAF strives to be the most affordable art fair of this size and calibre in North America.
Who can apply?
TOAF’s panel of jurors welcomes artists and makers from across all stages of their career to apply for acceptance to the Fair. Mid-career, established, and emerging artists working in all mediums (ex. photography, sculpture, painting, etc.), as well as makers in craft & design (ex. glass, wood, textiles, jewellery, etc.) from across Canada and beyond are invited to submit. We are inclusive, accessible and radically welcoming to all artists and art enthusiasts.
* Our venue at Nathan Phillips Square is fully accessible. Artists who require accessibility support can be eligible for additional assistance through our Art Encounters program. Please contact us directly for more information.
The 2019 award winners with the TOAF team. Image credit: Andrew Williamson
What do we offer?
- Ongoing professional development: Get access to support and guidance from our dedicated team from start to finish, including App and Booth Camps (workshop sessions with industry experts) and an Artist Handbook (an outdoor art fair survival guide).
- Onsite resources & support: A team of 200 volunteers to assist you over the weekend and professional, secure onsite artwork storage (limited spots available)
- A successful & comprehensive marketing campaign: Benefit from our multi-platform national marketing and promotions, which garnered 69 million media impressions from 2019’s campaign. We also offer Artist Spotlights for Artists to be spotlighted social media audience of over 19K followers!
- A vibrant community: TOAF is dedicated to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all of our artists and makers, with a focus on accessibility and special initiatives for artists in priority groups.
- And more!
Since 1961, juried TOAF artists have heralded their experience with TOAF as successful, professional, well-organized, engaged, and impressively well-attended. Hear what they have to say.
“My first year showing at TOAF as a student was definitely a life changing experience. I sold my 3 largest works to a local gallerist within the first hour of the show, and the rest were gone by noon the next day. These were the first paintings I had ever sold… The whole experience was thrilling, but most importantly gave me a huge boost of confidence to keep working hard and to believe in the work that I make.”
– Cristine Yunyk, emerging artist
How to apply:
Apply early! Visit our website and click “Call for Artists” for full application guidelines. Read our tips on how to submit a successful application and check out our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
Early Bird Application Fee: $50 Regular / $30 Students until March 1, 2020 (11:59 PM). A late fee of an additional $50 applies beginning March 2, 2020.
Final Deadline: March 9, 2020 (11:59 PM)
Image credit: Andrew Williamson
“I have been an exhibitor at the Toronto Outdoor Art Fair since 2013 and strongly recommend this event to any new or established artist. The event is extremely well marketed, organized and attended… From the year-round correspondence to the volunteers who help with set up to the incredibly supportive organizers this event is first class in every respect.”
– Mark Brodkin, award-winning photographer
Questions? Contact us.
About Toronto Outdoor Art Fair
Toronto Outdoor Art Fair is Canada’s leading and longest-running juried outdoor art fair, with a mandate to bring together artists and the public face-to-face in a radically welcoming and accessible environment to nurture the joy of engaging with art. Founded in 1961, Toronto Outdoor Art Fair was established to put contemporary visual artists and makers front and centre of their works, and to nurture artistic excellence and artists’ entrepreneurial spirit. This public event showcases works by over 360 contemporary visual artists and makers including painters, photographers, sculptors, ceramic artists, textile artists, and jewellery makers, and attracts 130K visitors each year to Nathan Phillips Square.
The Toronto Outdoor Art Fair is a charitable nonprofit organization.