What is NIGHT SHIFT?
NIGHT SHIFT is a late-night livestreamed event that showcases innovative and thought-provoking dance by today’s dynamic movement makers. Initiated by Citadel + Compagnie in 2019, NIGHT SHIFT is a unique platform that provides performance opportunities for artists exploring within and across any and all forms of dance.
Co-presented with Fall for Dance North and directed by Oscar-nominated Barbara Willis Sweete, NIGHT SHIFT 2021 will livestream 4 selected artists over 4 nights in celebration of the creativity and resilience of boundary pushing artists working across the province of Ontario.
As future COVID-19 protocols remain unknown, in order to maintain a safe working environment NIGHT SHIFT seeks applications that fit within the following parameters:
- Proposed works must be for solo performances and/or duets by members of the same household (this includes 2 dancers, and/or a dancer and a live musician)
- Proposed works must use original music, or music for which the artist has received express permission from the owner for its use in a livestream broadcast
- Works are not to exceed 15 minutes in length
- Works should fit within a 30 x 30 ft. space and require minimal technical support
Applications are open to all professional artists residing within the Province of Ontario. Applications are not open to full-time students.
The Citadel: Ross Centre for Dance is an accessible space. We welcome applications from all artists, inclusive of all forms of dance and their expressions, and are committed to creating safe spaces for 2SLGBTQ+, women, Indigenous and Black persons, persons of colour, and persons with disabilities.
What is Provided
NIGHT SHIFT will provide its selected artists with the following:
- $1500 Presentation Fee
- Technical consultation with director, lighting designer and stage manager (September 2021)
- 12 hours of free rehearsal space at The Citadel (week of September 13, 2021)
- 1 Technical Rehearsal (minimum) at The Citadel (week of September 20, 2021)
- Livestream Performance at The Citadel with the support of a lighting designer, stage manager, director and professional camera crew (week of September 27, 2021)
- Marketing & Promotion
- Complimentary Online Access / Tickets
NOTE: Pending the ability to safely travel, further support will be provided for out-of-town artists if selected.
How to Apply
Please provide the following information via the form below:
- Applicant Name
- Contact Information (email, phone number)
- Performance Title (if known)
- Description (150 words max)
- Length of proposed work (15 minute max)
- Artist Bio (150 words max)
- Video Link (of proposed work or recent related work)
- Video Link Password (if required)
Artists will be notified of results by mid-June 2021.
For support with this application (including writing assistance and alternative audio or visual submission formats) please contact:
Kaitlin Standeven at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-364-8011 ext. 5.