Job Title: Hub Manager, Artscape Gibraltar Point
Position Type: Permanent Full Time
Department: Hub Services
Reporting to: Manager, Artist Residencies & Programming
Location: AGP – Artscape Gibraltar Point
Application Deadline: May 14, 2021
Anticipated Start Date: May 25, 2021
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighborhood aspirations and philanthropic missions.
Since its beginning in 1986, Artscape has become recognized as an international leader in creative placemaking, a practice that leverages the power of art, culture and creativity to catalyze change, growth and transformation in communities. Artscape achieves its mission through developing and managing unique cultural facilities—including community cultural hubs, multi-purpose creative spaces and artist live/work projects—and delivering programs and services that promote creativity and cultural space development. For more information please visit www.artscape.ca.
Reporting to the Director of Hub Services, the Hub Manager is responsible for the day to day oversight of Artscape Gibraltar Point which includes a series of unique commercial tenancies and programs. The primary function of the role includes community and tenant engagement with oversight over the AGP artist residency program (both self-directed and thematic) to achieve our strategic commitment of building strong and vibrant neighbourhoods. Through programmatic collaboration and partnership with the local Toronto Island community, the AGP Hub Manager fosters the conditions for artists and creative organizations to thrive through strong relationship management, community engagement and a passion for the mandate of Artscape.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the AGP self-directed and thematic artist residency program, which includes: promotion, application review, coordination of arrivals / departures, and program development
- Design and manage community engagement activities and programming, with oversight on related budgets in consultation with the Director, Hub Services and in collaboration with other Artscape communities and the broader team
- Proactively seeking out funding opportunities and compatible external partnerships to support programming that aligns with community needs
- Develop and implement community stewardship plans, which include strategies for community engagement and shared governance of Artscape communities
- Manage day to day administrative operations, support the development of policies and procedures to ensure a safe and supportive environment for tenants, in collaboration with Building Operator and the Community Services team
- Work closely with Building Operator to manage part-time staff and scheduling needs
- Liaise with Artscape Performance and Event Venues to appropriately schedule events and support business development activities to achieve sales targets
- Facilitate the distribution and promotion of community updates, events, and tenant initiatives in collaboration with the Marketing and Communications team
- Foster authentic relationships with tenants, the Island community, arts and cultural groups, project and program partners, stakeholder groups and committees
- Lead communications and support for tenants, online and in person, including reporting, complaint resolution, outreach and other activities as required
- A Valid Ontario Class G Driving License (Non-negotiable)
- 3-5 years’ experience in community engagement, arts administration, programming and/or property management.
- Demonstrated strength in fostering diversity, equity and inclusion in community building, an understanding of the mandate of the applicable Artscape communities and their context in the revitalization of their respective neighborhoods
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills that inspire trust
- A commitment to quality, ability to meet tight deadlines, and a willingness to work in team environment
- Flexibility and ability to adapt quickly to changing circumstances
- WordPress/ Graphic Design Experience
- Strong personal network
- Familiarity or strong ties with Toronto’s Arts & Cultural Community
- Social media savvy
Join Our Team!
We love creatives and creativity!
Join our team and be part of an organization that positively transforms the community through co-creation. Artscape is an urban development organization and global leader in creative placemaking. We have community cultural hubs throughout Toronto. The core of our work focuses on developing real estate projects, programs and services to empower artists and connect them to communities. As a not-for-profit organization based in Toronto since 1986, we collaborate with artists, community leaders, public policy advocates, philanthropists and urban developers, so that our work builds value for everybody. As a team member, you will contribute to the wide range of work we do for the community.
Artscape is dedicated to hiring employees who reflect the diverse communities we serve in Toronto.
How to Apply:
Email your resume and cover letter in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate the Job Title and your name in the Subject line. In your letter, be sure to tell us where you initially saw the job posted. Unfortunately, incomplete applications without cover letters will not be considered. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the volume of applications we receive, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls, please. In some cases, interviews may begin before the job posting closes.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape. For more information, please see our Accessible Customer Service policy.
Artscape’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
We will hold ourselves and each other accountable through word and action with the assurance that every member of the Artscape community be treated equitably, with dignity and respect. As an employer, as staff, as leaders and community members, we will act in an inclusive manner at all times and with mutual respect of individuals’ rights to be understood and heard.
We believe equity, diversity and inclusion creates a culture that embraces the uniqueness of individuals and is representative of the Canadian population and are resolute in cultivating an environment where all people are respected and their differences are embraced.
We do not condone or tolerate behaviour that undermines the dignity of any individual. Expressions of hate such as intimidation, harassment, offensiveness or hostility will not be tolerated.
We stand firm in our commitment to the erasure of and fight against all forms of discrimination and harassment, including but not limited to: Islamophobia, anti- Semitism, xenophobia, sexism, anti-Black racism, classism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, ageism and anti-indigenous rhetoric and remarks.
We further commit to the creation and enforcement of open and inclusive spaces, free of hate and all forms of oppression.
We will support the growth, awareness and understanding of our most marginalized and racialized communities and will promote and encourage open dialogue that does not infringe of the rights of others or cause harm.