Plein Air Painting Class with Artist April Morris
August 19 @ 5:30 pm - August 22 @ 12:00 pm
For this four-day online summer intensive course we will explore plein air painting. Plein air painting is a method of painting which contrasts with studio painting. It is a great way to connect with nature, the city, and to learn how to paint in the moment, making quick decisions about elements such as composition and colour. Thousands of artists have begun this practice by taking their supplies outdoors into the landscape and cities to capture the hustle and bustle of everyday life. In this class we will get a chance to escape the walls of our studio space and experience painting in the outdoors. To prepare, we will learn various watercolour painting techniques in the virtual classroom. We will also learn the history of plein air painting by looking at many artists that have used this technique before us. By the end of this course you will learn how to watercolour paint, prepare for and complete Plain Air paintings and to display your work in new creative ways.
- What is Plein Air?
- Plain Air artists
- History of Plein Air
- How to sup up/prep
- Watercolour lessons
- Displaying Art: where and why it is important
This is an online instructor led class. Learners should have access to the outdoors including a park, backyard, balcony or window. If Provincial Guidelines permit, the class may be held outdoors on Saturday. Learners may be provided the option to meet the instructor on our main campus. Those taking the class fully online will be able to join the class virtually on Saturday by choosing their own outdoor location. Please ensure you will have access to the internet in your outdoor space.
Those students who choose to attend in person will be required to wear a non-medical mask, social distance and complete a COVID-19 self-assessment questionnaire. Details will be provided before the start of class.
- Thursday, August 19, 2021 and Friday, August 20, 2021 (5:30pm to 8:30pm): History of Plein Air, watercolour techniques and practice (online).
- Saturday, August 21, 2021 (10:00am to 3:00pm): Paint outside at your home or an outdoor group meeting site (You choose: in person or online)
- Sunday, August 22, 2021 (10:00am to 12:00pm): Morning Coffee, Critique and display (online)
Fees: $249 + HST UWindsor Alumni, Staff and Students are eligible for discounts. Contact email@example.com for more details.
Prequisites: Access to a computer with high-speed internet to stream classes.
Materials are not included. Participants must purchases the following materials before the start of the class:
- Watercolour paint (tubes or watercolour palette)
- Paint palette (if you use tubes of watercolour paint)
- Watercolour paper
- Green painter’s tape (Frogger brand is best)
- Hard surface to paint on (small wooden, plastic or Masonite board)
- Watercolour paint brushes
- Small container for water
- Paper towels or towel
Instructor: April Morris, MFA
April Morris is a visual artist and arts educator born here in Windsor, Ontario. Exploratory walks taken through her hometown inspire Morris, as she explores a sense of place. The vibrancy and colour in her works come from unusual and unexpected surroundings. She holds a Bachelor of fine Arts Honors degree, Bachelor of Education, an Arts Management Certificate, and a Masters of Fine Arts from the University of Windsor. Currently she works as an artist and arts educator here in Windsor, ON.